Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Chili Pepper Bonefish Fly

The Chili Pepper is obviously a variant of the crazy Charlie. Its almost identical with a few small differences. One, the color is always either orange or red, usually brightly orange. The other difference is the addition of some flash as a sort of tail off the bend of the hook. Other than that, its quite similar. It is effective for bonefish in the flats, and I know people that have success with other species like redfish and even carp as well for flies tied similar to this

The beauty of any crazy Charlie variant is they are not difficult to tie. In fact they are down right easy and quick flies to tie. There are some challenges that come into play when tying them, but once you get them down, you can tie them fairly quickly and fill up a flats box in no time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeX00lM4Cyk&feature=youtu.be

And there's ANOTHER fly - but this is a Chile Pepper - tail yellow GP fibers and matched pairs (2-4) of yellow GP feathers, tied with fire orange (or fire red) thread and finished with a matched pair of red GP feathers - all tied NZ Killer style.  It started as a salt water (especially sea trout) fly in Chile (hence the "E") and also is a nice late summer/fall pattern for fresh water.  It imitates an immature carp.

Kim

20 hours ago, WWKimba said:

And there's ANOTHER fly - but this is a Chile Pepper - tail yellow GP fibers and matched pairs (2-4) of yellow GP feathers, tied with fire orange (or fire red) thread and finished with a matched pair of red GP feathers - all tied NZ Killer style.  It started as a salt water (especially sea trout) fly in Chile (hence the "E") and also is a nice late summer/fall pattern for fresh water.  It imitates an immature carp.

Kim

Ok thanks for the info.  I guess I got it wrong.  Someone sent me a picture of something like this, asked me to tie it for them, and they called it a chili pepper fly.  I should have done more research before making a tying video on it.  

1 hour ago, McFlyLures said:

Ok thanks for the info.  I guess I got it wrong.  Someone sent me a picture of something like this, asked me to tie it for them, and they called it a chili pepper fly.  I should have done more research before making a tying video on it.  

You'll find that the Chili/Chile Pepper is the name of a few different patterns - try tying THEE Pass Lake sometime -impossible!!

Kim