Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Fishing the gulf in the Texas Summer Heat

Fishing in the Gulf of Mexico for redfish and speckled trout can be amazing, especially off the Texas coast. However it can also be very hot! The temperatures were reaching 100, and there was absolutely no wind. We were so hot. We had to wear waders because in the heat like this, the flesh eating bacteria is all through the water, and any cut or bug bite could end up getting infected. So we were very hot, and it was brutal fishing. Just a couple of hours and you feel wiped out. However Johnny was able to get a nice rat red and an almost legal speck. I only ended up getting a small sand trout and 2 croaker. So it wasn't the best trip ive ever taken. But that seems to be my luck when I get down to the gulf. Hopefully next trip I can get myself a nice redfish.

The flies I used were mainly redfish cracks and game changers. I also threw a small dubbed style shrimp fly, and a surf candy. Nothing seemed to work great for me. However Johnny had great luck with the redfish crack, and that is what he caught all of his fish on. Funny thing, that is the same exact pattern and size I was using all day, but he seemed to get them, and I didnt. Just luck of the draw I guess.

This time of year most gulf spots from Texas to the Keys near me are cooking (both for fish and anglers alike).  In the ‘glades I deal with it by doing a very early start (before sunup)… Better fishing - and we’re off the water before those afternoon thunderstorms really get cranking - hopefully…

Here’s a trick or two to keep you and whoever you’re fishing with in the game… The first is easy… drink lots of water to stay hydrated (save the beer for the run back to the ramp…).  Secondly, remember that long before A/C… folks had ways to deal with the heat.  The first thing I do is have my anglers dunk their hats, wring them out, then back on their heads… That’s backed by doing the same with your shirt… Lastly, a wet towel or two kept in your cooler that’s placed around head and shoulders sure feels great when you’re cooking.  When it’s no longer cold enough - back in the cooler it goes…

9 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

This time of year most gulf spots from Texas to the Keys near me are cooking (both for fish and anglers alike).  In the ‘glades I deal with it by doing a very early start (before sunup)… Better fishing - and we’re off the water before those afternoon thunderstorms really get cranking - hopefully…

Here’s a trick or two to keep you and whoever you’re fishing with in the game… The first is easy… drink lots of water to stay hydrated (save the beer for the run back to the ramp…).  Secondly, remember that long before A/C… folks had ways to deal with the heat.  The first thing I do is have my anglers dunk their hats, wring them out, then back on their heads… That’s backed by doing the same with your shirt… Lastly, a wet towel or two kept in your cooler that’s placed around head and shoulders sure feels great when you’re cooking.  When it’s no longer cold enough - back in the cooler it goes…

Thanks for the info, yeah we drank lots and lots of water.   

Having spent years riding motorcycles in all kinds of heat and cold I have everything from heated gloves and jackets to cooling vests for wife and I. Though the cool vest really is at it's best when moving through the air on a cycle it also does a good job of cooling in stationary outdoor conditions, especially if there is any breeze. While other guys who we rode with would be in t-shirts and bitching about the heat wife and I would wear white long sleeve t's and soak the vest every gas stop. I also had du-rag and neck scarf of same material and we would be MUCH more comfortable than the other riders.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Cooling-Vest/s?k=Motorcycle+Cooling+Vest

Bikes and boats have one other thing in common…. When it’s cooking, crank up, get running and it’s instant air conditioning.