Fly Tying
troutracker

The Hovering Damselfly, designed to look like a flying damselfly just above the water surface

Wow, that was exciting. Thanks

Well done video, btw, I usually have to fast forward manually

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

One never gets out often enough to fish. Fished in seven states. But again, I've never seen Bo Diddley, either.

Lol

On 7/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, mikechell said:

Wow, SilverCreek!  Nothing about Troutracker's fly at all, huh?  Nothing but a post to boast on your own knowledge of other people's flies?

Troutracker,  have you fished that "hovering damsel", yet?   

Since when does presenting another option on a concept deserve public criticism? Silver Creek contributes to this board including offering UV products at good quality and price to members. He simply was showing another option. I could never understand quoting a full and heavy post when you post right below it but other than that I don't think your post was called for at all. Note that he in no way dissed the other option, just presented a different one.

Sometimes we do Norm, just not this time. Don't know how that happened but whole thing acted strange for me. Maybe Mike has a curse on quoting him.

12 hours ago, vicrider said:

Since when does presenting another option on a concept deserve public criticism?

I rarely disagree with Silvercreek's postings, other than they often are long and filled with, if possible, too much information.

But, in this case, the original post did not ask for other options.  Didn't even ask for opinions on the pattern presented.  It was a story and recipe.  For someone to chime in with other options without commenting on the original says to me, "Your fly isn't worth talking about ... but here's one that is."

I stand by my post.

troutracker, Thanks for your recipe. I bought some blue foam sheet a few years back with the intention of working up a few different adult damselfly patterns to try. Your post has inspired me and provided some good patterns to try out.

My experience with trout consistently taking adult damsels was at a mountain lake with steep drop-offs along the shoreline and lots of overhanging shrubbery. Lots of adult damsels were resting on the shrubs along the lake-shore and the rainbow trout were jumping up and grabbing the adults right off the bushes.  In some cases fish were clearing the water by a couple of feet to pluck bugs from the bushes. sometimes the fish would miss but knock the damsel onto the water where it would circle back and take it from surface. If I did not see it for myself, I would not believe it.

What a great experience to be able to watch TroutFodder. I know there are exotics in foreign waters that scan the branches and jump for their meals but to see trout do it is a rare experience.