Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

Took a trip to PA, Kettle Creek

Went back to PA for a family visit and had to go back to the proper pronunciation of "creek" as "crick".

I was going out with a guide I went out with last fall for steelhead and throw dry/droppers on light tackle for a fun day on the water. The flow was a bit low early in the week (45cfs) but came up nicely with some rain, just to above perfect (145cfs), and dropping. I got to the camp ground the night before since it was a 3 1/2 hour drive from where I was staying with family, and during the night several torrential downpours occurred.

Met with Nick the next morning at 0530 and set out the game plan. It wasn't going to be an easy day. The flows were at 370cfs and rising and more storms were expected around noon. The water color, that is normally crystal clear, was chocolate milk. Dry/droppers were out and nymphing was in. Used my 4wt nymphing rod at 9'6" with an indicator and three fly rig (stonefly/perdigon/squirmy).

Nick did a great job locating the holes where fish would be holding with the high flows and we managed to pick up several nice brown trout, and lost one rainbow at the net. 

Due to the tough conditions we went from a full day to a half day, and I will be making up the time in the fall for another steelhead trip.

IMG_5620.jpg.188b89c9fdb3f9efe67b546dc2d6c9e7.jpg8DDCD695-B74B-42CF-BF22-24A8BD7281CA.JPEG.bda77385b2c77199f2668c7de88c8471.JPEG

Nice brown in some tough conditions. Is that near Waterville? It's been some years but I fished over in PA on Big Pine and Little Pine and seems I remember a Kettle creek being close to where we were in Waterville area.

3 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Nice brown in some tough conditions. Is that near Waterville? It's been some years but I fished over in PA on Big Pine and Little Pine and seems I remember a Kettle creek being close to where we were in Waterville area.

I was about an hour west of Waterville in the Cross Fork area.

It is a pretty expansive watershed though.