Fly Tying
flytire

Space

Would you go to space?

not me. I like it right here on the ground

let the billionares spend their money

I think how many people could have been helped with housing, groceries, etc. in these lean times. What a waste of money just to feed someone's ego!

Did you forget that Bezos spent millions to go develop the rockets and technology for that space trip? That money did go back into the economy as salaries for the workers and they did spend it on housing and groceries.

Do yo mean purchasing a ticket now, or as an astronaut.  40 years ago I would have gladly tried to become an astronaut if I was a bit more serious about such things at the time.  Now, meh, I don't even want to get into a plane unless it's the only option left.    I'm still working on my son, though.  He's getting close as a geo-spatial engineer with the Army.  

Regardless of the $$$$$$$$$, it is quite an accomplishment for all of the hard working people who put it all together 

the return rocket stuck the landing 🚀

not just bezos and Branson 

1 hour ago, flytire said:

it is quite an accomplishment for all of the hard working people who put it all together

Indeed.  

In a skinny minute!!!  Wife already knows I'm going if they say, "Hey, we want some people to go to Mars, stay a few weeks and come back."  "Anyone interested?"

I'm headed to Barsoom!

13 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Wife already knows I'm going if they say, "Hey, we want some people to go to Mars, stay a few weeks and come back."  "Anyone interested?"

I'm headed to Barsoom!

Funny, Mike.  Although if and when we go to Mars, I doubt there will be return flight.  

She knows.  I'm going anyway.  Of course, she's not worried, I too old to even be considered.

Yeah, me too. 

Years ago, I thought maybe we'd have the technology and gumption to get up there by the time my kids were old enough to go, and if one of them did, I was hoping he or she would have a child there, then my grandkid would be a Martian.  I used to think that'd be pretty cool.  I quit smoking that stuff a long time ago.  

We still don"t know what the oceans hold, IMO. Read where we don't know the full life cycle of the great white shark. Too many things that need attention in other places.

Example, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park has discovered flora and fauna in recent times that was unknown.

I agree, there's much we don't know or understand on this planet.  But, while knowing the full life cycle of great white shark, quantifying the oceans contents, and especially discovering new flora and fauna may bear great benefits,  it seldom does.  Traveling to another planet, just like travelling to the moon, has a far greater potential for more significant benefits.  

Not for me. I’m not so sure it fits what I believe space to be. Somebody providing a definition of where they believe space starts may not be what I envision as space. Space for me would be something like the Apollo 13 movie where you have to go through a 4 minute re-entry to earths atmosphere. Going up to a few minutes of weightlessness doesn’t fit my definition as real space. 

I do however enjoy the rocketry, the entrepreneurship, and above all else the right to spend your money however you like. 

16 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Space for me would be something like the Apollo 13 movie where you have to go through a 4 minute re-entry to earths atmosphere.

I never gave that too much thought, but I think I agree.  I guess I always thought space begins when you are 'relatively' free of the earths pull.