Fly Tying
flytire

Space

1 hour ago, niveker said:

I never gave that too much thought, but I think I agree.  I guess I always thought space begins when you are 'relatively' free of the earths pull. 

Although gravity and the amount of atmosphere are related, space is defined by the lack of atmosphere and not gravity. 

So there is "space" between our Sun and the planet Mercury even though the Sun's gravity is clearly present keeping the planet Mercury in its orbit.

A black hole has "space" around it even though that "space" has a tremendous amount of gravity from the black hole.

Yes, you are correct, I chose my words poorly.  By 'relatively free of the earth's pull', I meant when that pull is no longer sufficient to contain the atmosphere.  

Speaking of going to Mars ... I just hope they put a "base" on the Moon before trying to send humans to Mars.  If something goes wrong on the Moon, we might be able to send help within a few days (assuming the craft that took the "originals" their isn't a one-of-a-kind). 

If something goes wrong on Mars, it's months before help could arrive.  We need to prove we can set up a self sustaining habitat on the Moon before we try doing it on Mars.

Yeah, I'd go help colonize the Moon, too!

I agree with Poopdeck, a bit.  If I paid the money to go to space, I'd want the multi-day stay, to really get the feel of free fall for an extended period of time.

21 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Although gravity and the amount of atmosphere are related, space is defined by the lack of atmosphere and not gravity. 

So there is "space" between our Sun and the planet Mercury even though the Sun's gravity is clearly present keeping the planet Mercury in its orbit.

A black hole has "space" around it even though that "space" has a tremendous amount of gravity from the black hole.

64753758.jpg

so back to the ORIGINAL question

Would you go to space?

No. I haven't seen about 90% of the US of A. I always remember, "Houston, we have a problem."

Redneck joke- Why do rednecks make such good astronauts? They took up space in school.

Wife and I have been to all 50 States, and I've been to 18 Countries.  Space would be on my bucket list if it was possible.

Yes!  Absolutely!

Although, to be honest, the older I get, the less the appeal...

On 7/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, niveker said:

Yes, you are correct, I chose my words poorly.  By 'relatively free of the earth's pull', I meant when that pull is no longer sufficient to contain the atmosphere.  

Murkier still. https://www.space.com/earth-atmosphere-extends-beyond-moon.html

Space as in orbit, why not?  It's a quick trip and relatively low risk.   But space as in Mars?   I believe it's about a year each way and then there's the time on the surface- so no thank you.  I'd like to spend the remaining years of my life  knee deep in a stream as often as possible.  Besides I've been to Las Vegas sooo same thing-

On 7/20/2021 at 8:47 AM, SilverCreek said:

Did you forget that Bezos spent millions to go develop the rockets and technology for that space trip? That money did go back into the economy as salaries for the workers and they did spend it on housing and groceries.

Thanks you SC. It's his money, he earned it. I have some expensive bamboo and classic reels. What I spend for them goes into the economy helping others who work for their money. Same like these initial space programs. Without reaching out we would never advance as civilization and a lot of working people benefited from these programs. 

Answer to question is yes. I'd go even with no plans of coming back. Finally get to meet Mike on the ship heading to Mars.  

How many people were in on the design of the space rocket? Bet they weren't making minimum wage. How many vaccinations would that money buy and benefit more people?

The "look what you could have done with that money" game can apply to anything in life. Fact is if someone earns their money legally and pays taxes on it, then it's no one business what they do with it, period. So lets stop with this direction of conversation before it starts heading into a political area and get back to the topic at hand.

Yes, and with the way thing have been going lately for me I'd consider being a stow away (LOL).  At times I marvel at what we (as people) are capable of doing with technology. Agree with Mike about a camp on the moon first, might be able to really improve my long distance casting there!

On 8/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, cphubert said:

... might be able to really improve my long distance casting there!

A 16 weight would feel like a 2 weight!  I wouldn't even need a GoPro to make the distances seem farther!