Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Latest theater room project

Finally finished a 3D printing project I started about 3 weeks ago. Bought a pair of side tables for the theater room with the intent of doing a diorama on each one of them. First one I wanted a Wizard tower with a Kraken attacking it and a dragon sitting atop the tower watching on. Pretty much everything is 3d printed except the base I carved/sculpted out of foam then airbrushed and flocked it with sand and flocking. And the trunk of the tree is one of my bonsai trees that died over the winter so I just spread aquarium filter floss across the branches then flocked it the way model railroad guys do on their builds. Rest is all printed and airbrushed. Water I airbrushed the base then coated it in clear silicone, then added waves by pulling upwards on the silicone as it dried and painted the white tips. Also added flicking light inside the tower as well as a flickering micro LED chip on the end of the wizards torch. Probably over 200+ hrs into it from start to finish. Fit's right into the theater room theme really nicely. Was quite an enjoyable build, already kicking around ideas for what will be built on the 2nd of the side tables.

av4uv8S.jpg

wiiZK8D.jpg

G2CBLP7.jpg

QPHVcHA.jpg

mmIsNTW.jpg

Y9QCv5m.jpg

5lclbD4.jpg

fzVuwgt.jpg

43Yml2b.jpg

WnWKA2c.jpg

j8TqtOu.jpg

tVP0EVZ.jpg

lTLGw4o.jpg

Holy Cow!  That's a lot of work ... labor of love!  I like it!

Sorry to hear about the tree, but glad you could still make use of the trunk.  Looks good, too!

That’s a pretty intricate piece of work. Are you also doing the cad designs for the printing or can you get them ready made somewhere. 

I get the files for the designs from a place online where people share .STL files (3d printer files) called Thingiverse. Then I run them through a software called Cura and I can make changes in the software program for size, how many sections I want to print something in, and all the dimensions as well as quality of the print which has a direct impact on the time it takes to print. Just for example I made the tower about 200% larger than the file it came in, and printed it in 5 different pieces. So took a total of about 5 days worth of non stop printing just on the tower itself.