Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

The Half and Half

The half and half has been around for quite some time. Granted, not as long as its parents, the clouser minnow and the deceiver. However it has been around for quite a long time, catching saltwater and freshwater fish alike. Today I am tying the half and half in an electric chicken coloration that was requested from a customer of mine. Its a large one, size 3/0, but these can be tied from small (id say probably size 6) to as large as you want. They move very nicely in the water, with a flowing tail like the deceiver fly. But also have that irresistible jigging motion many fish can't ignore. In ways this fly has the best of each of its parent patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0620TQp-U

Nice tie.  One other way I've learned to keep rotating feathers flat is to take the feather tie in point and crush it slightly in the space just above my scissor pivot point.  Otherwise it's like baseball - hitting a round ball with a round bat!  Cricket anyone!😉

Kim 

On 8/7/2021 at 12:05 PM, WWKimba said:

Nice tie.  One other way I've learned to keep rotating feathers flat is to take the feather tie in point and crush it slightly in the space just above my scissor pivot point.  Otherwise it's like baseball - hitting a round ball with a round bat!  Cricket anyone!😉

Kim 

Lol, thanks for the tip!  That makes sense, I’ll try it next time 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:17 PM, RickZieger said:

Nice tie.  This is the half and half I was aware of. PTN and bugger

half & half.JPG

Not heard of this one.  If you type “half and half fly” into google the clouser/deceiver one is what comes up.  It’s the only one I’ve heard of.  But that’s pretty cool also.  I’m sure that one works also.