Fly Tying
cencalfly

So Many Friends I never Met

Hi All,

Man, it seems like it has been long time and I guess it has been.  I missed you guys.  Life gives us so many things we can’t foresee but we work with it as best we can anyway.  Irrespective of all that my love for fly fishing and tying has not gone away.  I certainly can do neither as I did before but I will still try. As so eloquently written before, my life has seemed to taken on a more poetic view, so be quoted…

Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn’t. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”

Me,  I’m not done. I have one last flurry.  Lets fish 

Beautiful prose that is. The thing I'm reading in your post is that maybe life has thrown you a curveball that backed you off the plate for awhile. I've had a couple of really bad years that have nothing to do with Covid but a 77 year old body runs into problems never thought about 20 years ago. My time on water is limited to nearly non existent last few years but I too hope to get out and begin to gain some time back on the clock with time on the water.

Nick

VC; I appreciate your thoughts and observations.

I've been going through a very dark period.  10 plus years I guess.  Illness that is beyond my control, and life matters that are now seemingly out of my reach or control has made me, at times, a little down. Still, there is poetry and beauty in what we do. Maybe not for all but at least for me. And, I take that as what matters.  

Your Friend, Jim