Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KrakenFly

The Ghost

The Ghost, from Kelson's the Salmon Fly, on one of my 2/0 reworked hooks. 

Kelson's description of this pattern caught my eye, and I happened to have some shoveler duck on hand that could stretch for the 2/0 wing length. Certainly an interesting pattern!

As always, critique/commentary is welcome and appreciated!

IMG_20210813_105611_895.jpg

IMG_20210813_105611_999.jpg

Very nice, Kraken.  I love the sparsity if the dressing, not too common (from my very limited knowledge of classic salmon flies).  Your inclusion of the creator's name prompted me to do a search, interesting character.  

On 8/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, niveker said:

Very nice, Kraken.  I love the sparsity if the dressing, not too common (from my very limited knowledge of classic salmon flies).  Your inclusion of the creator's name prompted me to do a search, interesting character.  

Kelson always provokes a reaction. Most, if not all of the classic salmon fly tyers I know think of him as a egotistical blowhard. Interesting book and flies...but the guy was just a little too full of himself for most tastes.

Thank you ALL for the wonderful feedback! It truly means a lot!

On 8/13/2021 at 6:07 PM, BobHRAH said:

Beautiful.   What is the wing material?

Thanks, Bob H

Bob, the wing is two strips of Shoveler Duck flank! 

On 8/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, niveker said:

On 8/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, SalarMan said:

Kelson always provokes a reaction. Most, if not all of the classic salmon fly tyers I know think of him as a egotistical blowhard. Interesting book and flies...but the guy was just a little too full of himself for most tastes.

Niveker, you are absolutely correct in your observation that this is a fairly "sparse" pattern compared to most of the classic patterns. It's also interesting (to me at least) that this pattern does not use the golden pheasant crests for the tail or a topping over the wing, like most patterns, but rather features them in the body of the fly. That was actually the main factor that caught my eye and led to me dressing the pattern. 

To validate George's insight on Kelson's rampant ego and flair for the dramatic as an author, you don't need to look any further than his own description for this fly following the pattern recipe: 

"This is an old standard and bears the reputation of killing fish on those occasions when pools have been over-thrashed with ordinary patterns." 

Clearly he was a bit.... imaginative....in the powers he ascribed to some of his flies, but it is hard to deny the importance of his contributions to the classics!

19 hours ago, KrakenFly said:

Thank you ALL for the wonderful feedback! It truly means a lot!

Bob, the wing is two strips of Shoveler Duck flank! 

Niveker, you are absolutely correct in your observation that this is a fairly "sparse" pattern compared to most of the classic patterns. It's also interesting (to me at least) that this pattern does not use the golden pheasant crests for the tail or a topping over the wing, like most patterns, but rather features them in the body of the fly. That was actually the main factor that caught my eye and led to me dressing the pattern. 

To validate George's insight on Kelson's rampant ego and flair for the dramatic as an author, you don't need to look any further than his own description for this fly following the pattern recipe: 

"This is an old standard and bears the reputation of killing fish on those occasions when pools have been over-thrashed with ordinary patterns." 

Clearly he was a bit.... imaginative....in the powers he ascribed to some of his flies, but it is hard to deny the importance of his contributions to the classics!

I will not dispute Kelson's contribution to the world of classic AS flies...but I do smile to myself as I type that I believe he was a pompous ass.😁

On 8/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, SalarMan said:

I will not dispute Kelson's contribution to the world of classic AS flies...but I do smile to myself as I type that I believe he was a pompous ass.😁

Oh absolutely! It is quite entertaining to think of his character transferring to this day and age, and how he would be received in the public eye. I think he would have found a way to work himself into "cancel culture". 😂

On 8/22/2021 at 10:52 AM, KrakenFly said:

Oh absolutely! It is quite entertaining to think of his character transferring to this day and age, and how he would be received in the public eye. I think he would have found a way to work himself into "cancel culture". 😂

I'm not touching that one with the proverbial 10 foot pole. :P Let's just say you are probably right.