Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

A storm is coming

Stay safe Norm. Been a stormy summer this year. I had a few days last week without power due to some crazy storms with 70mph winds that ripped through SE Michigan. We had over 600,000 without power for a few days.

When I lived on Long Island, we had a hurricane that brought 5 large tree limbs  down on and around the house.  Minimal damage to the house, but the cleanup took days.  That was before 1957 when we moved west.    Same thing 2 or 3 years ago in Florida,  limbs falling all around us,  clean up took almost a week.  We have been lucky, and have had 5 trees removed, and major trimming done on the 2 that are left.  Lately, no real problems from tropical storms, or hurricanes.

Yes, stay safe Norm.  Hope you have no troubles.

sometimes we lose power when somebody farts next to a power pole so the wind on this one might be interesting

ive lived through worse storms and a couple of tornados out in colorado

🤞🤞

34 minutes ago, flytire said:

sometimes we lose power when somebody farts next to a power pole so the wind on this one might be interesting

I can totally relate! Even though the city I live in is a upper middle class type city and you would "think" the grid would be good, it is not. We lose power here at least 6-8 times per year. Even some times when the sun is out and no rain/wind. It's just nuts. I bought an 1800w generator about 7 yrs ago just because of how much we lose power here. It died during this last outage last week, so I'm picking up a new bigger 3500w one next week.

Hope yours stays on and no issues. Let us know how you guys are doing when ya can.

That's why we got the "whole house" 11,000 watt auto-connect generator.  Last time we lost power for 6 days, in the Florida heat, it can be deadly. 

We also got window shutters just installed.

So, we probably won't get any direct hits this year.

Good luck with this one, flytire.

i survived a Saturday morning run to Walmart for supplies

bottled water was going as fast as they could bring out the palettes and stock it on the shelves and floor

the mobile home park i live in is on well water (well doesn't pump water without power) so i have a few 5 gallon home depot buckets filled with water to help flush toilets

the fridge is full of fresh water bottles

i filled up my gas cans yesterday. hopefully it wont be needed to power the generator

Hope everything turned out okay in your area, @flytire.  Out of all the rain storms we have had this summer in central MA, that was one of the mildest.  

i did not lose power at my house but others in the surrounding neighborhood did.

fallen tree on power lines

police department requested residents in mobile homes to evacuate to stronger shelters

i evacuated along with my elderly father and his medical aid person to a motel that completely overcharged for rooms $$$$

Price gouging is always a "thing" during hurricanes down here.  Sorry to hear it also happens up there.

Glad to hear that you and yours made it through with no issues.