Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KrakenFly

Red Pirate

Red Pirate from Kelson's Blue Boyne Set.

Decided I was going to tie my way through the Blue Boyne Set, and for whatever reason chose to start with the pattern I could find the least bit about! If anyone has any examples of previously tied Red Pirate's, I would love to see them, because I believe I could find only one picture of a very "artistic" interpretation of the pattern.

Tied slightly larger than called for on a #2 hook, as I plan on displaying them, but wanted to keep true to the smaller nature. This was the first hook I have made and finished with the black Japan lacquer that I mixed up; and it handled the vise jaws wonderfully.

Advice/critique/commentary is appreciated, as always!

PXL_20210910_144042227.MP-01.jpeg

RIMG2616~2-01.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sandan said:

Wow, double wow for making the hook and lacquering it

Thank you! The hook making and finishing has definitely been a learning process! I have tried multiple types of finishing for the hooks, and the Japan lacquer is certainly worth the extra hassle. 

But boy does that stuff smell when you are making it 🤢

I always enjoy seeing a pattern I'm not familiar with...especially when well tied like this one. Nice work on that hook too.....