Fly Tying
Upstate

Tying table vs. higher bench

I just got my hands on a nice two person drafting table with drawers down the middle. I got it for free and thought it might make a nice tying setup. The top is 40” high. 
my question is, do any of you tie on anything high like this ? My current table is 29” high. I’m thinking a taller,  comfy swivel chair might do the trick. 
I haven’t been on much since the early spring, but with the days getting shorter it will be tying season once again soon. 

For about 45 years, I tied on tables that were about 27 to 29" high.  I built an enclosed tying table in a 90" closet and that too was at 27.  There were 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood that gave me a base, and then and extending slide out tying area.  Then I started painting watercolors, and needed a higher table for that.  I put  9" rise from the base, and put the tying shelf on that.  Currently my vise goes on at a level of 33."  The Norvise then rotates at 40" and tying is fairly comfortable with just a standard office chair.  If your starting at 40 for the table, you will end up higher at the tying level.  An adjustable stool would let you work with a comfortable approach to the vise.

Agree with @utyer, the height of your tying surface is only going to be limited  by the height an adjustable stool/chair, which will let you fine tune everything to your comfort.   

My bench is 40” high. Depending on which vise I’m using it is anywhere from 49 to 52” above the floor. Love it because I can stand at vise when my back is sore or just because I feel like standing. Yes you will need a taller stool. 

10 hours ago, Upstate said:

I just got my hands on a nice two person drafting table with drawers down the middle. I got it for free and thought it might make a nice tying setup. The top is 40” high. 
my question is, do any of you tie on anything high like this ? My current table is 29” high. I’m thinking a taller,  comfy swivel chair might do the trick. 
I haven’t been on much since the early spring, but with the days getting shorter it will be tying season once again soon. 

Please post a photo on the "Show your bench" thread when you get it set up-  

I built my last bench be higher as well.  I have found that I have less back strain at the higher level and when I get tired of the stool I can tie standing.  All in all a much better set up for me than sitting at a low bench.

Picture before it became cluttered with materials.

20210411_103726.jpg

15 hours ago, DFoster said:

Please post a photo on the "Show your bench" thread when you get it set up-  

Will do. I got the monster moved into the basement tonight. Will start setting up soon. Here is a pic of the my old setup. 

A46872EB-4CF7-46E9-BDB5-2429F595024A.thumb.jpeg.13ae9abb24608607fff5b23f4698284c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Upstate said:

Will do. I got the monster moved into the basement tonight. Will start setting up soon. Here is a pic of the my old setup. 

A46872EB-4CF7-46E9-BDB5-2429F595024A.thumb.jpeg.13ae9abb24608607fff5b23f4698284c.jpeg

Looks like an old set-up with a couple old fools to boot!

Kim

On 9/14/2021 at 9:55 PM, Upstate said:

Great setup! Love your tying buddies!

I have 2 craftsman workbenches in our craft room. Wife can use her side to sew or paint, I use mine for fly tying and weapons maintenance. I can either sit or stand depending on how my back and neck are feeling. It's also high enough to keep the old cat from jumping up.

20210926_083712.jpg