Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

"The Brookie"

Just off the bench is "The Brookie". Been some long hours in the shop the past few weeks. This one is for a brook trout fisherman that wanted a brookie themed fiberglass rod for this fall. It is a 7' 3wt 3pc fiberglass with burled rosewood seat, burl grip, single foot guides, and then I used olive, blue/red for wraps to give it that fall spawning male brook trout look to it. I actually wouldn't mind keeping this one for myself...sure hope it doesn't get "lost" in transit lol 😁

caiApIh.jpg

BVeZq7l.jpg

KhObP1C.jpg

jc0I0Hd.jpg

16 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

brookie themed fiberglass rod

Oh my Lord, now you've gone and done it.  Without a doubt that rod was made for a fly fishing connoisseur of highly refined tastes who has reached the pinnacle of the sport.  It would look right at home on the waters I prefer to fish.  

How would you describe the action on that rod, Steve? That really is a beauty.  

It's got a great feel, and not just saying that because I built it either. Modern glass like these tip over butt ones now a days are a lot lighter than the glass rods of the past, plus they are a bit more crisp/responsive than the old buggy whip feel of the glass from years ago. Yet they still have the nice smooth action to them. I'd say it is a true moderate action, in the purist definition of the term moderate as used in rod actions. Something that would be right at home on a smaller/med sized stream casting smaller dries in the 10-30ft range to trout in pocket water.

These glass are ones I bring in directly. There's a few companies out there that sell the same ones just under different names. These days rebranding is quite common in the rod building blank game. Blows my mind how much some places change the price when they put a different name on it. I get them in a wide variety of sizes from 2-6wt and 6'6" - 8' and 3-4pc. Use to get some 2pc ones but not sure if they make the 2pc ones anymore.

Steve, it's  like Ford and Lincoln. GM is notorious for for one platform and different models.