Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Clouser Minnow with Legs

Clouser Minnows are some of the most well known and fished streamers ever produced.  Originally created by Bob Clouser, it has become a great streamer that works for just about any fish species that chases baitfish.  Now I don't know 100% if flies like the crazy Charlie, or Gatcha have been tied based off the clouser platform, but their similarity is striking.  Many bonefish flies use this same concept, and so I guess in my head I think they must have been designed off of the clouser idea.  Many of those flies are tied to mimic more of a shrimp profile and use things like silicone or rubber legs to act like shrimp legs or feelers.  So I naturally decided to add some rubber legs onto a craft fur version of a clouser to mimic shrimp.  Now I am sure I am not the first person to do this, however I have yet to see a simple clouser with legs.  But I am not claiming to be the originator of this particular variation of the clouser.  If any of you know who originally tied a clouser with legs like this, please let me know.  

Like the original clouser, these are fairly easy and quick to tie.  You are only adding one step and thats to add the legs.  However I think it does add a noticeable improvement especially when trying to mimic shrimp while fishing for species like redfish and bonefish.   I did have decent luck on this pattern in some varied colors last time I went down to the Gulf to fish for redfish.  Unfortunately I did not hook a red on this pattern, but did catch quite a few other species with it.   

Materials
Body: Extra Select Craft Fur (white/shrimp pink)
Flash:  Midge Krystal Flash (pearl)
Legs:  Micro Sili Legs (clear tipped hot orange)
Glue:  Loctite Brush On
Head Cement:  Solarez Ultra Thin UV Resin

Tools
________
Vise: Renzetti Traveler
Bobbin: Stonfo Bobtec
Trimming Scissors: Risen 4" Razor Scissors
Fine Tip Scissors: Risen Spring Assist Scissors
Whip finisher: Dr. Slick brass
Fly Tying Bench: Oasis Walnut Compact Bench
UV Light:  Ultrafire UV Super Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbXUH9nSxTQ

Don't know my a## from a shrimp pattern, but I'm always happy to see that you've turned this into a working business. Sticktoitive. What's next on your horizon?

53 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Don't know my a## from a shrimp pattern, but I'm always happy to see that you've turned this into a working business. Sticktoitive. What's next on your horizon?

Thanks.   So technically it can be a shrimp pattern in a way, but also can work as a regular clouser.  As for next, Im not sure what the next fly will be.  I have a trip down to the Gulf this weekend so hopefully I hook into a redfish this time.  As for future patterns, much has to do with what is ordered from me or what I am tying for myself.  I don't have a list or anything of flies I plan on tying.  Do you have any suggestions?  

I was talking next in your business more generally... Making your own name brand fly rods? 

On 10/7/2021 at 11:38 AM, chugbug27 said:

I was talking next in your business more generally... Making your own name brand fly rods? 

Oh no they aren’t my fly rods.  I advertise for a company that I have confidence in their products.  I don’t make any money if someone buys the rods or not.