Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eaglecreekcustom

Niche Fly Markets

Lots of niche markets in different venues... When I started tying commercially all those years ago, after I had one shop and a few guides as customers, was to load my sample box and set up appointments to visit shops within an hour or two's drive to show what I could do and find out first hand what each shop needed.  What I learned over time was the each area has it's own preferences as far as what their customers will want or need.... What works perfectly down in the Keys is not at all what's used up in Tampa for instance.  The bonus that each new shop provided to this tyer... was when they had something in-house they wanted done - and were willing to provide a sample.  Each time that sample would be used to generate a "master pattern" that went in a box to be used over and over again as a standard to work from as far as size, materials, and colors... 

I figure that each local preference,  if I could meet their needs,  expanded my abilities as a tyer... Yes, there are patterns that have a very universal appeal, the Copper John in freshwater, the Clouser or Deceiver in salt or fresh waters - but most flies that really work well are local items in my experience... 

11 hours ago, eaglecreekcustom said:

Do you know any Niche fly markets?

Thank you for you support

You’re already selling you flies on your website

you might want to increase the quality of the flies you’re selling 

try etsy

ebay

craigs list 

When I started filling custom fly orders, they were exactly that.  They were flies that were not in any catalog or shop.  There was NO internet, and all my customers were referred to me, most by other satisfied customers.  Some of my "niche" flies were for Pacific Salmon, and other were for local trout anglers.   Advertise on your website and offer to fill orders for patterns that they can't get anywhere else.  Local favorites, something they got somewhere that they cannot find.

I would agree with both flytire and Steve. It's good to see younger anglers making a go at something like tying flies.  Your best bet is to show examples and then try and find customers with "special" patterns they want.  You can charge a bit more if it can't be found elsewhere.  

I started much like you. My first company was Bass Bugger Flies, was back when I was 13. I was primarily a warm water fisherman so I began tying a lot of spun deer hair bugs. That became my specialty and got me in the door of quite a few shops. From there I connected with a few commercial suppliers for Umpqua and Orvis and began tying specialty flies for them as well. When I was 16 I was hired at the local fly shop.

I fully agree with you about finding a niche market. It is incredibly difficult to compete with cheap foreign labor that crank out standard patterns by the millions for pennies on the dollar.

Here are a few tips I learned along the way:

1) Only accept perfection. When commercial tying, every fly is expected. If I tied 12 dozen flies and one doesn't look right, it gets redone, even if it is only that 1 out of 144.

2) Learn how to be efficient. With any pattern run look at how you can minimize your efforts, plan your steps, prep your material, minimize the amount of picking up tools (I always wear my scissors on my right thumb so I never have to put them down), learn how to hand whip finish. Every little bit saves time and effort.

3) Learn the material, not the recipe. Don't always rely on a recipe. Look at how a material can be used in various ways. Think outside of the box.

4) Test, test, and test some more. Especially when working up custom flies, have a good understanding of fly design, how does the fly look in the water? how does it balance? How does it move? How does it cast? Sometimes a fly looks great, but just doesn't fish well.

5) Know your market. I started with spun deer hair because it was what I fished with for the species in my area (western Pennsylvania). As I expanded my fishing experience I also expanded on my tying capability as well. If you want to mostly focus on custom flies you have to understand the fishery they are used in.

6) Network. Go to shops and meet the regulars, the guides, the suppliers. Go to fly fishing/tying shows if available. You never know what kind of opportunities this can bring about.

7) Let your energy and enthusiasm show. People will notice your passion and that will grow into expertise. 

For tails 3rd point - one of the FIRST books that I TRULY could say I learned fly tying from was Helen Shaw's Fly-Tying.  There is a wealth of information and not ONE fly pattern in the whole book!  But boy do you learn ways to handle material!

Kim

20 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

I started much like you. My first company was Bass Bugger Flies, was back when I was 13. I was primarily a warm water fisherman so I began tying a lot of spun deer hair bugs. That became my specialty and got me in the door of quite a few shops. From there I connected with a few commercial suppliers for Umpqua and Orvis and began tying specialty flies for them as well. When I was 16 I was hired at the local fly shop.

I fully agree with you about finding a niche market. It is incredibly difficult to compete with cheap foreign labor that crank out standard patterns by the millions for pennies on the dollar.

Here are a few tips I learned along the way:

1) Only accept perfection. When commercial tying, every fly is expected. If I tied 12 dozen flies and one doesn't look right, it gets redone, even if it is only that 1 out of 144.

2) Learn how to be efficient. With any pattern run look at how you can minimize your efforts, plan your steps, prep your material, minimize the amount of picking up tools (I always wear my scissors on my right thumb so I never have to put them down), learn how to hand whip finish. Every little bit saves time and effort.

3) Learn the material, not the recipe. Don't always rely on a recipe. Look at how a material can be used in various ways. Think outside of the box.

4) Test, test, and test some more. Especially when working up custom flies, have a good understanding of fly design, how does the fly look in the water? how does it balance? How does it move? How does it cast? Sometimes a fly looks great, but just doesn't fish well.

5) Know your market. I started with spun deer hair because it was what I fished with for the species in my area (western Pennsylvania). As I expanded my fishing experience I also expanded on my tying capability as well. If you want to mostly focus on custom flies you have to understand the fishery they are used in.

6) Network. Go to shops and meet the regulars, the guides, the suppliers. Go to fly fishing/tying shows if available. You never know what kind of opportunities this can bring about.

7) Let your energy and enthusiasm show. People will notice your passion and that will grow into expertise. 

Thank you,

That is some good advice