Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KrakenFly

Blue Boyne #2

Next fly from the Blue Boyne set, the Blue Boyne itself, on a #2 rework. Pattern from J.P. Traherne, as published in the Fishing Gazette, 1885.

Subbed kingfisher, because the thought of using 24 cotinga in one shot makes me sweat. Haha

To echo the recent post, I would love to see some works from others as well! I am very much a novice in this area, having only begun tying this year, but I think the greatest amount I have learned has come from examining the work of others and having discussion. If anyone is on the fence to post their work, regardless of how it looks, just know that it could possibly serve as a big learning tool not for yourself, but for others too. Additionally, if anyone is thinking about entering this area of tying, I will happily help with any information/tips I can! 

As always, any feedback/critique on my fly is appreciated!

*Additionally, I added a picture of another project I am working on, a realistic Cicada Killing wasp. Just completed the extended abdomen, have a long way to go! Was unsure where (if anywhere) this type of tying would be posted. Feel free to remove if it is out of guidelines!

PXL_20210924_190955299.MP-01.jpeg

PXL_20210929_011041762.MP_exported_1197-01.jpeg

RIMG2691-01.jpeg

RIMG2695-01-01.jpeg

Very nice. The dusty miller I was working on fell victim to the razor blade. I'm starting over again. Just didn't like either the proportions or the wing(s)

DustyMiller.jpg

I'd love to watch that wasp develop, Kraken.  Please run a thread on it in the "realistic fly tying" forum.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:22 PM, Sandan said:

Very nice. The dusty miller I was working on fell victim to the razor blade. I'm starting over again. Just didn't like either the proportions or the wing(s)

DustyMiller.jpg

I razored the blue Boyne once before finishing that one, so I can relate to the struggle! Can't wait to see your finished dusty miller, as that looks like a fine attempt! I really don't see anything wrong with the winging itself!

19 hours ago, mikechell said:

I'd love to watch that wasp develop, Kraken.  Please run a thread on it in the "realistic fly tying" forum.

Id be happy to! Where is the realistic forum located? I can't seem to locate it in the forum navigation, or is it another site entirely?

9 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Well done...well done indeed !!!!!

Thank you!

I just happened to notice that you are located in SE Pennsylvania? I am outside of Harrisburg!

18 hours ago, KrakenFly said:

I razored the blue Boyne once before finishing that one, so I can relate to the struggle! Can't wait to see your finished dusty miller, as that looks like a fine attempt! I really don't see anything wrong with the winging itself!

Thanks, it just didn't pass muster. When I'm done, I'll sure post it.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:48 PM, KrakenFly said:

Thank you!

I just happened to notice that you are located in SE Pennsylvania? I am outside of Harrisburg!

Look for the pm I sent....

On 10/14/2021 at 8:43 PM, mikechell said:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/forum/49-realistic-fly-tying/

That should take you to it.  It's one this site, about halfway down the list of forums on my computer.

Thank you! I will start a topic over there once I finish the next stage and cover the progress to that point!