Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stabgnid

Substitute help please

I ran out of sliver oval tinsel tying some hair wing flies can I sub. it with sliver wire ?? (My local fly shop is out of sliver oval Tinsel )

Thanks for any reply's

Steve-stabgnid 

I’d say that’s up to you; doubtful that fish care one way or another.  I use wire on a lot of wet flies that call for oval tinsel and they catch just as many fish. If you’re tying flies for competition, that may be a different story.

Regards,
Scott

22 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

I’d say that’s up to you; doubtful that fish care one way or another.  I use wire on a lot of wet flies that call for oval tinsel and they catch just as many fish. If you’re tying flies for competition, that may be a different story.

Regards,
Scott

Just tying for a fly swap . wire it shall be  .. thank you Scott

Steve-stabgnid

Scott's suggestion will work. 

Sometimes I use flat silver holographic tinsel instead.   In my mind it gives a somewhat 3d effect that oval tinsel has, not sure if the fish see it the same way though. 

Also, you can twist the tinsel into a rope to make it round.  (I think I stole that idea from @flytire's site).

Depending on the size of the fly you're tying and the size of the wire you have, you can twist two pieces of wire together.  This I've never tried.  

In the long run, though, I agree with Scott, the fish don't care.