Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

HUGE brookies

I think I will start carrying a camera on the river again.  This morning I landed a 14" brook trout who's beauty left me awe struck.  It was a dull grey morning.  The red fall spawning colours,  fair size kype and the leading edges on the fins was so intensely white, almost opalescence.   He hung out near on the bottom for a bit where I could watch him get over the experience.  I still couldn't get over the beauty of the fins.  I had to count them because he looked "over dressed".

7 hours ago, Lesg said:

J-Kno, I have fished brook trout all my life and was surprised to catch splake that were identical except for the blue haloes. I did a bit of research and found out that the M.N.R. here in Ontario had been back-crossing the original splake (brook/lake) with brook trout. On another note a friend is a taxidermist and when I walked into his shop one day and commented on a nice splake that he had ready for a customer he started laughing and said that I was the only person that realized it wasn't a brook trout including the guy that caught the fish. He tried to tell the guy it was a splake but the fisherman insisted it was a brookie.

That's good to know! Thanks! I LOVE Brookies! and Splake!

23 hours ago, Lesg said:

J-Kno, I have fished brook trout all my life and was surprised to catch splake that were identical except for the blue haloes. I did a bit of research and found out that the M.N.R. here in Ontario had been back-crossing the original splake (brook/lake) with brook trout. On another note a friend is a taxidermist and when I walked into his shop one day and commented on a nice splake that he had ready for a customer he started laughing and said that I was the only person that realized it wasn't a brook trout including the guy that caught the fish. He tried to tell the guy it was a splake but the fisherman insisted it was a brookie.

1. The customer is always right.

2. If the customer is wrong, refer to Rule #1.

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

The customer is always right.

2. If the customer is wrong, refer to Rule #1.

LOL That's what he said. 

31 minutes ago, J-Kno said:

Good way to get charged an A-hole tax... lol.

The A-hole tax is real trust me 😆 I've been pretty lucky in the nearly 20 yrs I have been in business and 99.99999% of my customers are great to work with, but I can think of two that have had me build multiple rods for them and after doing the first, they were such unnecessary pains to deal with that they do get hit with the A hole tax anytime they come back. There was a 3rd guy that use to get it as well, but last year after doing his last build I finally told him to find another builder because I was done with him.

1 minute ago, Steeldrifter said:

The A-hole tax is real trust me 😆

Hmmm, I'm hoping I'm not one of the first two... 😁

I used to service sewing machines, I've charged it a couple times when they were rude to me or the other staff. On the flip side, I had an older lady come in and ask if I could service both of her machines in 3 days... The standard was 5-7 days, but I didn't have any repairs, just clean and tunes... I told her it wouldn't be a problem.. Staff looked at me funny. I took those home and worked on them the next night. I called her the next day and she asked... "what's your favorite pie?" I told her "blueberry" expecting something that would be edible, but not spectacular... I was wrong... She brought it with when she came to pick up her machines... This was the best blueberry pie I'd ever eaten and it was beautiful to boot! 

10 hours ago, J-Kno said:

Hmmm, I'm hoping I'm not one of the first two.

No, you are for sure in the easy to build for group. Normally the ones that are the biggest pain are the bass angler/tournament/casting rod guys that do drop shot with split grips or something of that nature for some reason.The most recent one that I finally told to go elsewhere was an unreal headache to deal with. He would normally start by calling me, not just once, but 3-4-5 even 6 times, then I would tell him to email me the build specs that way I would have everything he wanted in one email to build to spec off of so everything would be in one place on a build sheet. He would email me specs (which would be different than he said on the phone) but then he would keep emailing me or messaging me on FB multiple times and start changing things. Normally it was something like the grip length, which when you change that on a casting/spin rod then that changes the reel seat location which in turn changes the guide location etc etc.

I finally had my fill of him last year. He was such a pain I actually refunded his money after the rod was  done and told him I was done building for him and to never come back to me ever again. Come to find out I was actually not the first rod builder to do that with him either so that tells ya what a pain he was.

FWIW, I found a "niche" with the a local bass fishing crowd who fished a number of tournaments close by. But I tossed the idea as I knew how some of them treated their rods by stepping on them, closing locker/car/truck doors on them, etc. I didn't want to spend my time repairing rods that were damaged due to the someone's carelessness.

I agree with Steve's take on "tossing" customers who are a PITA (that's not a type of bread).