Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Which is It? Or is it Either or?

Which spelling is more correct?  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but... :devil:

According to the Outdoor Writers Association of America's Outdoor Style Manual, the correct spelling is "fly tier." In fact, the stylebook entry specificially says "not fly tyer."

On the other hand, "fly tying" is correct.

Clear as mud? Happy to help! :lol:

John

Some one told me that spelling doesnt matter but I fill like a foll if I spell something wrong so I yous spell check. When I do that it comes up as tier.

tyrite

Here is some information that I learned when starting Hatches. From what I know Tyer is a mispelling, and Fly Tyer(the magazine) changed the spelling so they could trademark it. Fly Tier is a common phrase that could not be trademarked but a unique spelling could be. So technically, if you use the word Tyer in any form especially for commercial reasons you are infringing on their trademark and they could come after you if they chose to do so.

There is some weird loop hole that if a term or spelling becomes common language then it could no longer be trademarked but I don't know of any circumstances where that has held up in court.

There is some weird loop hole that if a term or spelling becomes common language then it could no longer be trademarked but I don't know of any circumstances where that has held up in court.

I think one instance (off the top of my head, without doing any research) is the word "asprin". I believe the word was coined by Bayer , but became so commonly used that it lost protection. Other cases that have come close are Kleenex and Xerox . Watch your copyrights!!! :D

in south louisiana with our cajun slang we call it taaaaaaer. like yo betta taaaaer up dat boat when them hurry canes a coming, das it boy, taaaaaer up real good for the wins gonna blow dis evnin

and dats all i gots to say bout dat, gots to go, taaaaerin up some fli's

Bud

A person from Michigan's Upper Penninsula (U.P. hence UPer ie Yooper). Imagine a midwesterner with a Canadian accent, but with his or her own slang based upon the melting pot of immigrants who settled the area (mostly cornish, sweedes, finns, and norwegians with the occassional irishman thrown in for fun).

It is "Fly-Dresser" :)

I tried to tie a worthy fly, but I just messed it!

of course I wondered why I could not tie the fly,

and then at last it dawned on me, flies are not tied!

and so I dressed it!

TL

MC

My fellow Dudes (& Dudettes),

First and foremost, let's get something straight. No self-respecting, heterosexual man "dresses" anything , unless it's an animal he kills while in the field (i.e. field dressing). We don't even dress ourselves. We 'put clothes on.'

If anyone has a problem with this, bring it! :boxing:

As for my opinion on the main topic (not that it matters, b/c no-one's gonna read this far into the thread anyway), here it goes:

I fly. He flies. We are flying. We are fliers.

I tie. He ties. We are tying. We are tiers.

It seems to me that, technically, based on the spelling of words similar to TIE, the only time you use the Y is in the "-ing" tense - as in TYING.

This is just my opinion and is not based on any solid evidence - just my own (sometimes incorrect) understanding of the american-english vocabulary.

Frankly, how people choose to spell 'tie' doesn't bother me nearly as much as when peopleDON'T USE ANY PUNCTUATION WHATSOEVER IN THEIR POSTS. :wallbash:

I can't stand reading posts that are one long, non-stop, incoherent group of words. I'll have to start a new topic on this subject. I'm sure it'll be 'on-fire' in no time. [insert 'sarcasm' emoticon here]

To whoever was bored or drunk enough to read this post,

THANK YOU. (I, for one, appreciate it.) :drunk:

Looks like it depends on who you check with.

Websters Revised Unabridged Dictionary says both Tyer and Tier.

American Heritage Dictionary says Tier.

English....go figure.

It is settled. I agree to the fullest. Case closed.

My fellow Dudes (& Dudettes),

First and foremost, let's get something straight. No self-respecting, heterosexual man "dresses" anything , unless it's an animal he kills while in the field (i.e. field dressing). We don't even dress ourselves. We 'put clothes on.'

If anyone has a problem with this, bring it! :boxing:

As for my opinion on the main topic (not that it matters, b/c no-one's gonna read this far into the thread anyway), here it goes:

I fly. He flies. We are flying. We are fliers.

I tie. He ties. We are tying. We are tiers.

It seems to me that, technically, based on the spelling of words similar to TIE, the only time you use the Y is in the "-ing" tense - as in TYING.

This is just my opinion and is not based on any solid evidence - just my own (sometimes incorrect) understanding of the american-english vocabulary.

Frankly, how people choose to spell 'tie' doesn't bother me nearly as much as when peopleDON'T USE ANY PUNCTUATION WHATSOEVER IN THEIR POSTS. :wallbash:

I can't stand reading posts that are one long, non-stop, incoherent group of words. I'll have to start a new topic on this subject. I'm sure it'll be 'on-fire' in no time. [insert 'sarcasm' emoticon here]

To whoever was bored or drunk enough to read this post,

THANK YOU. (I, for one, appreciate it.) :drunk: