Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Which is It? Or is it Either or?

Which spelling is more correct?  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

QUOTE (Flytyer-1 @ Apr 24 2005, 12:55 PM)
The funniest thing is, all of this is worth just what you paid for it!!

Naah, with this illustrious group, I'd say it's worth 10 times what he paid for it. hysterical.gif

I'd say Tier and Tyer are equally acceptable. As Flytyer-1 pointed out the proper spelling is "tier", but colloquialisms work their way into our language all the time and become commonly accepted. Merriam-Webster lists "tyer" as a variant of "tier". It doesn't bother me to see it spelled either way. What gets me is when I see "tieing". That's just flat out wrong, heh.

Flie-Thaiers...hmmm...

Unlike the French language English doesn't have regularized spelling or pronunciation for that matter - if you look at most dictionaries they say "common" spellings and pronunciation.

So technically you can use any spelling so long as people know what you are talking about - ummm writing about since no one knows when you mispell a word you are saying...

QUOTE (Flytyer-1 @ Apr 24 2005, 08:39 AM)
The word "tye" is not found in World Book.  "Tying" is found and is the present participle of the verb "to tie".  The "i" is changed to "y" and "ing" is added so that the word is not spelled "tiing". 

Therefore, we are fly "tiers"

Allright, I feel strongly compelled to settle this once and for all, especially since Stack has taken the hard stance. dry.gif

Tye \Tye\, n.

1. A knot; a tie. [R.]

See Tie. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44

So then, one who makes tyes is a tyer.

Let it be known that I am a fly tyer who ties flies.

This is unquestionably correct. A Tyer ties. A tier is something in a parking garage or part of a wedding cake. Flies, not Flys, is the plural of fly. Unless, perhaps, you're still Fysshyng Wyth An Angle. In which case, you need to drop your snuffbox, toss off your Victorian wig and move on.....

Whoever you may be out there who keep pushing the Fly Tier and Tye Flys diction - just stop it. You're wrong. Fix your websites, forum posts, articles, etc. and stand corrected. devil.gif

Hi Guys,

I've never had a magazine editor correct the word "tier" in an article but have had several change the word "tyer to tier" before publishing. That doesn't prove much of anything, just what several editors seem to what. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

QUOTE (Hywel @ Apr 28 2005, 09:22 AM)
Hmmmm, I think I'll avoid all the confusion and controversy by using the term 'fly dresser'... rolleyes.gif

headbang.gif There ya go! smile.gif

Pass the Grey Poupon.... drunk.gif

CD

QUOTE (Al Beatty @ Apr 28 2005, 11:03 AM)
I've never had a magazine editor correct the word "tier" in an article but have had several change the word "tyer to tier" before publishing. That doesn't prove much of anything, just what several editors seem to what. Take care & ...

Al,

That's what you get for trusting wordsmiths. wink.gif

They need to tye more flys. Oops... whistling1.gif

BTW, Isn't THE magazine called 'Fly Tyer' ??

CD

According to Webster's website both spellings are correct. However, TIER has several meanings (6 listings) that include "One that ties; a tier of knots." TYER has one entry - "One who ties, or unites." Since we are trying to unite all the great TYERS of the world into one forum, I say we call them TYERS... clapping.gif

(Wow... that was either prophetic or pathetic... not sure which... another poll maybe? dunno.gif )

QUOTE (Hywel @ Apr 28 2005, 09:22 AM)
Hmmmm, I think I'll avoid all the confusion and controversy by using the term 'fly dresser'... rolleyes.gif

So, if you tied salmon flies, trout flies and bass flies. Would that be cross dressing?

I too use tyer because I think it looks better, to me. I like the more old school or british english feel. But my business cards have the Tier and Tyer crossed out and I use "Bug Builder". Just to be different.

Plus there was a group of us tyers in the eastern council FFF back in the early-mid 80's, that tyed a lot together. Sports shows, council claves/events, any event usually, just an excuse to tye together. Someone came up with the idea of a pin for us and had them made and numbered every year. I have relinquished my pin number over the years so I have no idea if they are still making these or not. I did see John P, the fearless leader at Somerset last year, but he was busy and I forgot to get back with him.

IPB Image

DeerhairTom