Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skeet3t

First fish on a fly rod!

Took one of my grandson's to a small stream east of town for a few hours this afternoon. We had been here a few weeks ago and blanked. Today was his first fish in the skinny stick. Fishing with an elk hair caddis ( I cheated and used deer hair) and caught two warpaint shiners. First was about three inches long and the other was about two inches long. He was excited as if he caught Chinook salmon in Alaska. Photo is on the wife's phone. I would download it but, the last time, she had over 400 photos! Any way to download a single photograph? I have done  this with a USB cable with the laptop.

Super cool skeet3t. My granddaughters are not quite ready to fly fish yet but I look forward to taking them out and catching their first fish. You story also reminds me of my early years learning to fly fish. We didn't have a trout stream near where I lived but I would ride my bike to a small creek to fly fish for creek chub on size 18 adult midge patterns. The fish were all two to three inches long but I still loved catching them and I learned a lot about casting and where fish like to hold. Thanks for sharing.

Hello to the guy up north. I was fishing a local tailwater and got into a school of warpaint shiners. Fished for several minutes, caught a bunch and decided to move on. It's a shame that one can get tired of catching fish.

The second one was small, he didn't know he had a fish! I'm going to print a photo of the first one, frame it and give it to him for Christmas. BTW, he will be 16 this coming May. He said when he got his driver's license, he was going to fish this stream a lot. Have another one in mind that is east of town. He should have some wheels as his brother will be starting college in the fall. Just thought, the university is up in the mountains...near trout streams loaded with brookies! Just might have to visit often.😊