Fly Tying
fishingbobnelson

Caddis for Christmas IX FULL

2 hours ago, troutguy said:

FishingBob, please tell me, what is a caddis?

The caddisflies, or order Trichoptera, are a group of insects with aquatic larvae and terrestrial adults. 

As LaFontaine states midway through the book, "The study of caddisflies is the graduate school of an angler's education."

Hope that helps 😎🎅

Put me down for a Spent Poly Winged Caddis and nice to see you hosting!

Kim

20 hours ago, niveker said:

You're out of control!  LOL

Norm is just concerned about the previous post about the swaps disappearing from the site.  If we all follow his example our hosts could offer a new swap every other week!

Kim

On 10/29/2021 at 8:43 AM, flytire said:

i dont want to procrastinate and hold up swappers getting their flies on time

👍

As  I've tried to push myself more over the years I'm trying to work with patterns that need more placement than two wraps and a feather and this is one from a recent mag. I have some pics but the last one is really bad but then it's what the trout would see up through the film. It's brown thread 6/0 with amber dubbing and using the thread tag end to spiral back to front. A small bunch of CDC fibers give extra life to a dying Caddis, Wally Wings give a silhouette different than normally seen on the thousands of Caddis flies drifted over them, and finish off with front wrap of brown hackle, which can be trimmed to body if lower float in film is needed. Oh yeah, after finishing the 6/0 and dubbing I switched to 14/0 to allow more thread room for the multiple ties on front 1/3 of shank. So this basically what the guides secret who designed this fly more or less looks like.

DSCF6552.JPG

DSCF6556.JPG

DSCF6559.JPG

Looks good.    I think you're right, I would probably trim the bottom hackle when I got it on the water.