Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BobHRAH

Best feathers for Rangeley style streamers

What are your current preferences for Rangeley style streamer wings, #1 down to #8?  Is anyone familiar with Whitings Freshwater Streamer capes, or Whitings Rangeley Streamer capes. On-line sources have only dyed grizzly or badger in the Freshwater.  Feather Emporium (yeah, yeah I know) has them both, but I am trying to get more info before I order.  Have not been able to get to any local shops to check in person.  Looking for what Don Bastian recommended as having moderate webbing, rounded tips and stems with moderate stiffness.

Thanks, Bob H

whiting american hackle

American Hackle - Whiting Farms

ive used strung hackle in the past

just beware of feather emporiums poor customer service and not delivering the order

check out jims fly company

Whiting Hackle, Metz Hackle with hundreds of capes and saddles (jimsflyco.com)

Selecting Streamer Hackle « Don Bastian Wet Flies (wordpress.com)

Whiting, Metz, Collins are quality hackles, if you are dealing on-line use a source that ties (fly shop or hackle farm vs. big box) and talk to them explaining what you want. I try to never buy feathers or bucktail sight unseen and preferer to go to a show to find what I want at least once a year. E-bay is better than big box if the photo is of the item and not a stock photo you just can't feel the item for feather count, length or density. If I had to buy sight unseen I'd call Charlie  @ Collins Hackle. Just my opinion. 

Whiting American Saddles, but be selective about the feather shape, as these are inconsistent. Some are banjo shaped, others have parallel sides and not much of a shape, neither of which are useful. I also find Keough saltwater saddles (hard to find except at shows) are good, again one needs to sort through them. I have used "Wapsi Utility Saddles" and at one time "Hareline China Sub Saddles" which were cheap, the right shape feather, but alas have not been available for over 5-7 years. Some folks like the Ewing saddles - famed streamer tyer Mike Martinek was fond of those - although their modern saddles have a different shape than they used to. The old and new style Ewing saddles had a tip shape reminiscent of Gothic cathedral windows.

Plan on the sizes you will tie. Small sizes can use relatively narrow feathers, while presentation or trolling size (e.g.2 or 1/0) need the shape in a large size and the tip shape you prefer (rounded or more pointed). So for example dyed Indian saddles (e.g. from Cote's Fly Shop on ebay) are the right size and shape and cheap for size 6 and 8 streamers. Important for the larger sizes (4, 2, 1/0) that the feather used contains the base where the shape and the webbing begin to get wider, but of course none of the fuzzy bits. Also look in fly shops for odd saddles that have the right feather shape.

These two saddle feathers show the shape I like. The gray saddle is a little wider than I would like, but clearly shows the shape. I would use this whole feather starting where the fuzzy stuff ends. A little stroking of the fibers will make the shape be fine. Note she shoulder feather covers the wide part at the base. The white saddle is probably the best proportions, allowing for a long silhouette. 

StreamerSaddles.png

I've tied a few of these types, and found any of the top of the line hackle growers (Whiting, Mets, Keough, Collins) are the only way to go.

I don't know where you are located...so finding a fly shop to look over what's available may or may not be a viable option.

Perhaps the upcoming (November 20,21) International Fly Tying Symposium in Edison, NJ...again based on your location.

Good luck!!

As a follow--up, but first, thanks for your response which are generally what I have observed and use.  But I was wondering if anyone has specific experience with the Whiting Freshwater Streamer or Whiting Rangeley products.

Thanks, Bob H

i did not see whiting "rangely" hackles on the whiting website

feather emporium may be calling whiting "american" as "rangely" for tying that type of streamer

DO NOT (!!!!!!!) order anything from Feather Emporium. They have a bad reputation and for good reason.

Response time is SLOW if your order ever arrives which all to often it doesn't.

Check around this and other sites and you will find a lot of folks who agree with me.

Good morning Bob,

Someone you may want to give a shot is Theriault Flys out of Stacyville Maine. http://www.theriaultflies.com. It ha been a hot minute since I've been in their shop but it is hugely impressive. I'm confident if you give them a call, they will know exactly what you are asking for.

Michael R.Earle

I am with you essequamvideri.  Theriault flies is the way to go.  He is an old family friend.  His shop has anything you could imagine.  Mail order as well

The Whiting Streamer hackles are just the top (bottom?) of a cape with the larger feathers. Wrong shape and stiff stems so you won't get the realistic motion of the fly in the water. May be fine if you can find fine stems. As far as Whiting American Saddles, see my comments in my earlier post. Theriault saddles OK for the 6 and 8 size, sometimes 4. I did not find the right shape and size feathers on any of the grizzly saddle I ordered several years ago, but I was looking for size 2 flies.  But he ships fast and has decent pricing.

Check feathersmc.com John sometimes has different feathers in stock that fit the bill. Just depends on what is in stock at the moment, but you can't go wrong with him.