Fly Tying
flytire

Fly Tying Symposium

Had been planning on going.  My Saltwater fly fishing club was going to be tying at the IFF booth,  I was going to be one of the tyers, but the IFF cancelled because of the Covid situation.  It's an hour and a half drive for me.  Still too many people not vaccinated and even though I'm vaxed and boosted.   I'm don't feel like dealing with the crowd, just to watch folks tie flies.  Hopefully things will be a little bit better in January and I can get to the Fly Fishing show.

I'd love to go to one once, just to have a look around. When I get some of my damascus vises done, I'll spend some time at some shows.

Usually go, looking for material and hooks that I can't live without🤪 but it looks iffy, need to clean the bench and inventory what I have. This and the Jersey fly fishing show seem to be my best bets, the other show I like is the Connecticut Fly Fishing Association show and dinner. (much smaller but I always find good bargains)  usually in February. Iffy , I just committed to another dog that may conflict with the show date 🙂.

We had a fly fishing in Chicago 25 years ago,took my young daughter,.Not a huge show but very limited interest.One good thing i met Dave Whitlock,bought a signed book and he tied a fly for my daughter.He knew that i knew nothing about fly fishing or tying but really inspired me .After starts and stops i really immersed myself in this stuff.I was good angler brfore i ever picked up a fly rod and never thought about tying flies to that point.Fly fishing is something i can do most of the year,i can tie a fly and be at a local pond in 10 minutes casting away and usually catch something.Point is these shows have value especially to new comers.I hate crowds myself.

This is the Symposium's 30th Anniversary (technically, it would have been last year, but that show was cancelled), so I'm looking forward to it. I will be a featured tier and presenter, plus be tying at my station. I'm also teaching a private fly tying class on Sunday.

Tiers that will be there include: Dave Whitlock, Landon Mayer, Barry Ord Clarke, Devin Olsen, Son Tao, Tom Baltz, Brad Buzzi, the Demuths, Aaron Jasper, Tim Flagler, Joe Messinger, Marc Petijean, Jake Villwock, and too many more to list. 

Hope to see many of you there!

Tim

I put together a YouTube video for the Symposium: 

Thanks for the info, both @tctrout and @flytire.   If I was  a bit closer, I would probably make an effort to go.   I'd like to see Joe Messenger tie one of his dad's frogs, live.  

11 hours ago, niveker said:

Thanks for the info, both @tctrout and @flytire.   If I was  a bit closer, I would probably make an effort to go.   I'd like to see Joe Messenger tie one of his dad's frogs, live.  

No worries, and I understand. It's a bit of a drive for me...nowhere near as far as my flight to Denver for that show! 😉

Btw, Joe (and his son Jodi) are both incredible tiers and fly fishers. I've had a chance to tie and fish with them a few times, and it's been an honor every time. To watch them tie the frogs is something I treasure. When the frog comes off of Joe's vise, it looks just as relevant (and fishy!) as it must have YEARS ago! He also ties at the Fly Tiers Reunion, held at 7 Springs in PA, an event that is traditionally held in March/April. Follow them on Facebook because it's a smaller show and many miss out: https://www.facebook.com/flytyingsymposium

Does anyone know how many vendors would be there ? web site tells you nothing & with the current supply chain shortage happening everywhere  for everything , I would go just to restock my bench.   The Flyfishing Show in Jan . has been having fewer vendors in both NJ & Mass.

Good question, you think they would post that. 

I sent them an email through their website asking, I'll let you know if I hear back.  

I've heard of many vendors in attendance, including Keough Hackle, Badger Creek (owned by Mike Hogue), TIght Lines Fly Fishing (shop in NJ), and more.