Fly Tying
Poopdeck

NYC marathon

I spent the entire day and half the night in New York City to cheer my daughter on in the NYC marathon.  I have to say, as much as I hate NYC, I had a great time traversing the city via the subway and cheering at certain points along the way. Beautiful weather, great hotdogs, a fun loving crowd and flat out inspiration at every turn. Blind runners, double amputee runners, children with disabilities being pushed by loving parents, disabled vets, young, old, men, women, and every nationality in the world. Just a wonderfully inspiring day. If you ever have the opportunity to go, go. I’m glad I did. 

Lived in Queens for three years. I lived in a predominately Italian neighborhood. Miss the food. Miss the neighbor's mother-in-law cooking tomato sauce. when the windows were open!

NYC is a world unto itself. It had 24 hour groceries, pharmacies, other stores before they were even considered in other places.

My former boss and his son ran. Father was 30 years older than his son and always had a better time. Boss was on the cover of Time one year.

12 minutes ago, DFoster said:

NYC is a nice place to visit but the fly fishing is terrible soo-

Actually there is decent fishing in Central Park. I know of a few who specifically target common carp in the lake. Trivia: NYC at one time had a game warden due to wildlife as possums, raccoons, squirrels that lived in the various parks.

23 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I spent the entire day and half the night in New York City to cheer my daughter on in the NYC marathon.  I have to say, as much as I hate NYC, I had a great time traversing the city via the subway and cheering at certain points along the way. Beautiful weather, great hotdogs, a fun loving crowd and flat out inspiration at every turn. Blind runners, double amputee runners, children with disabilities being pushed by loving parents, disabled vets, young, old, men, women, and every nationality in the world. Just a wonderfully inspiring day. If you ever have the opportunity to go, go. I’m glad I did. 

I say kudos to your daughter and you.

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Actually there is decent fishing in Central Park. I know of a few who specifically target common carp in the lake. Trivia: NYC at one time had a game warden due to wildlife as possums, raccoons, squirrels that lived in the various parks.

There are coyotes in Central Park.

https://centralpark.org/coyote-sightings-in-central-park/

22coyote.1.650.jpg

one of the qualities of NYC and the surrounding area is it’s diversity. You can get a taste of every culture in world and their food. It’s worth going just for the fresh mozzarella. Not going every day, just a couple times a year. The 9/11 museum is also a must see. 

Coyotes in Central Park are not surprising to me. The coyote population has exploded over the last decade. I spent 50 years having never seen or heard about one in the area. Now, I see them somewhat often on my evening walks in densely populated SE PA. They have no predation, we can’t shoot them because you can’t go shooting things in large residential areas and we have an out of control deer population for them to feast on. There’s so many deer the wolves might return. 

19 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I'm aware of the Central Park fishing and there is plenty of salt water to the North and South of the city.  I should have said the "mountain stream fishing is terrible".😉  At one time I worked for a company based on Long Island and every 2 weeks I would make the 5 hour commute to the office.  On the Friday afternoon return voyage the bartender on the ferry did slight of hand magic and he was really good at it.  There are a lot of really talented folks in that area.  NYC has a lot of great things to offer as does any major city.  A massive diversity of food, entertainment, sports, art and culture all of which are wonderful ways to spend a few hours or days.  However living in a major city for me would be miserable, simply put I'm a country boy.  

We are a it off topic. I moved from Ohio to Queens; lived there from 1962-1965. It is an amazing place. Recreation is close to the surf fishing and beaches. Trout and other species are a minimum of 1-1/2 - 2 hours. Did some fishing in the Neversink and the Ten Mile River and the Delaware River in the Scout camp. Surf fishing at Jones Beach. I'm very adaptable, having lived in the largest city and some of the smallest hamlets in the Midwest and Deep South. Trivia- Of the seven million people in metro NY area at the time, we were the only three with our last name; we checked all five boroughs and other places.

It is called, "The City That Never Sleeps."