Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KrakenFly

3/0 Blagdon Stickleback

Blagdon Stickleback from Hardy's on a 3/0 rework hook

Recently picked up a copy of the Hardy's book, and came across this pattern while flipping through. The name of this pattern stuck out to me, and is just plain fun to say. Blagdon Stickleback. Blagdon Stickleback. 

I think the wing may be a bit sparse (subbed turkey for the bustard), and one of the near side peacock swords popped out while trying to shape the head. First turn of tinsel got a bit skewed as well. 

As always, feedback/ critique is welcome and appreciated!

RIMG2814-01-01.jpeg

RIMG2831-01.jpeg

Sweet rendition of a cool pattern, one I've never seen before. No worries over a feather her or there that goes askew...it happens to all of us.

Well done indeed !!!

5 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Well done indeed !!!

x2. 

As someone who knows less than nothing about classic salmon flies, it is really neat to see two of the same flies tied by two different tiers side by side like that.  

On 11/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, SalarMan said:

Sweet rendition of a cool pattern, one I've never seen before. No worries over a feather her or there that goes askew...it happens to all of us.

Well done indeed !!!

Thank you George! Outside of the book I was only able to find one other instance of the pattern being tied, which was by Stuart Hardy. I have enjoyed finding the lesser known patterns and tying my hand at them!

23 hours ago, niveker said:

x2. 

As someone who knows less than nothing about classic salmon flies, it is really neat to see two of the same flies tied by two different tiers side by side like that.  

Thank you! I will definitely take similar pictures for future patterns as I can!

That being said, if you were to get into salmon flies or just want to see more antique examples, I cannot recommend the Hardy's Salmon Flies book highly enough. It is MASSIVE with over 1000 pattern listings and something like 800 photographed flies. It does not contain much info as far as the techniques to tie classics, but it is incredible as a pattern reference resource. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:54 AM, SalarMan said:

Well done indeed !!!

+3.  Happens to me too much of the time