Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

The Carp Bug

I had a customer ask me to tie a few of these carp bugs for him. They are fairly easy to tie, and seem like they would be effective. I personally have not tried fishing one of these, but I will try using them on my next trip out for carp and other warm water species like sunfish and bass. I suspect it will work great for all of these fish species. It looks like its intended to mimic a dragonfly nymph, which is a very common food source for many species of freshwater fish. Like I said its fairly easy to tie, and you can fill a box in a couple hours with different colors and sizes of these flies. So give it a try!

With the WW in my handle referring to warm water I will DEFINETLY need to try this pattern!  Nice vid!

Kim

1 minute ago, WWKimba said:

With the WW in my handle referring to warm water I will DEFINETLY need to try this pattern!  Nice vid!

Kim

Hey yeah man, let me know how it does for you.  I am looking for a good carp fly, as everything Ive tried out here in Texas hasn't seemed to work.  Someone asked me to tie this for them and I really liked it.  I plan on going out soon to fish this for carp to see if I can get some good bites.  Wish me luck!  LOL

Nice video, as always.  I tie something similar, on a curved hook, works well for panfish, I have never tried to target carp.  They are indeed quick and simple.  

IMG-20210731-191837.jpg

IMG-20210731-182329.jpg

Nice!!!! Definitely a carp catcher. Crawfish orange/brown would be good. Caught my first and only, so far, carp on one that was all white. Didn't fish much in my spot this past summer as it was too hot for me. A six pound carp on a 5 wt. is a challenge. Stand by.

DSCN0016.JPG

2 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Hey yeah man, let me know how it does for you.  I am looking for a good carp fly, as everything Ive tried out here in Texas hasn't seemed to work.  Someone asked me to tie this for them and I really liked it.  I plan on going out soon to fish this for carp to see if I can get some good bites.  Wish me luck!  LOL

Tight lines!

Adding: that is my grandson on the net. Got the carp up to the net, bolted into some weeds and got off. Grandson is getting into fly tying and tied some fantastic mop flies.

McFlyLures, that is a good video. I should have the materials for us to tie a few for spring. Thanks for sharing.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:49 PM, niveker said:

Nice video, as always.  I tie something similar, on a curved hook, works well for panfish, I have never tried to target carp.  They are indeed quick and simple.  

IMG-20210731-191837.jpg

IMG-20210731-182329.jpg

Yeah that looks like a good panfish fly for sure.  Get a beefier hook and it will work for carp I’m sure.  

On 11/11/2021 at 4:56 PM, skeet3t said:

Nice!!!! Definitely a carp catcher. Crawfish orange/brown would be good. Caught my first and only, so far, carp on one that was all white. Didn't fish much in my spot this past summer as it was too hot for me. A six pound carp on a 5 wt. is a challenge. Stand by.

DSCN0016.JPG

Oh man how fun!  Yeah those carp are beasts!  I hooked into a 31” once on a 5wt and it took me around the whole lake, it was a 21 minute fight.  Lol!  

On 11/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, skeet3t said:

Adding: that is my grandson on the net. Got the carp up to the net, bolted into some weeds and got off. Grandson is getting into fly tying and tied some fantastic mop flies.

McFlyLures, that is a good video. I should have the materials for us to tie a few for spring. Thanks for sharing.

Oh man, sorry you lost the fish.  That’s awesome your grandson is getting into fly tying.  I always like to see the younger generations getting into this sport and the hobbie of fly tying.  Fishing kept me out of a lot of trouble in highschool.  It’s good for kids now a days to get off their video games and out in nature to fish.  Way to go grandpa, good on you teaching him.  

by the way this isn’t my pattern, but I’ve heard great things about it.  I’m actually heading out to fish some carp this morning (it’s 5:30am where I’m at now) and gonna give the fly a try.  First time I’ve fished with this exact pattern, and the exact fly I tied on camera is on my fly rod.  Haha!  I’ve got a few different colors of it tied up and we will see which works.   I tied this up for a customer who bought flies for me, he requested this pattern in the olive.  I thought it was pretty good so I tied some up for myself as well and for the camera.  Since I moved to Texas I’ve had trouble hooking carp, not sure why.  But hopefully this pattern works and I get a few.  I’m bringing an 8wt this time.  Haha!  

Need to clarify that the rod is a D wt., equal to a modern 7 wt. with 8 wt line from an old fly rod that got crushed somehow. Reel is an Okuma which has lots of backing JIC.

I tried the technique of watching for a "mudding" or feeding carp. Cruising carp are not feeding. Anyway, I cast in front and beyond the carp. Timed the slow retrieve to be within a foot of him to get his (or her) attention. I hold the rod at about 45 degrees and use the lift-and-strip method for hooking the fish.

Remember: Nothing is as big as a fish almost caught.

Adding: topo maps are great for targeting carp. I find that, obviously, shallow water is the best way. It's like fishing for redfish or bonefish in saltwater. I heard a guide give a talk on FFing for carp while I was at the FFing Expo in Atlanta in 2018. Henry Cowan guides for stripers in Lake Lanier and carp in the shallows of the Chattahoochee River inside the city limits. His Towee boat is outfitted like a flats guide in the Gulf or Keys. https://www.henrycowenflyfishing.com/welcome.html

15 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Need to clarify that the rod is a D wt., equal to a modern 7 wt. with 8 wt line from an old fly rod that got crushed somehow. Reel is an Okuma which has lots of backing JIC.

I tried the technique of watching for a "mudding" or feeding carp. Cruising carp are not feeding. Anyway, I cast in front and beyond the carp. Timed the slow retrieve to be within a foot of him to get his (or her) attention. I hold the rod at about 45 degrees and use the lift-and-strip method for hooking the fish.

Remember: Nothing is as big as a fish almost caught.

Yeah I do all that, they don’t bite here.  Lol.  

On 11/15/2021 at 1:47 PM, skeet3t said:

Hmmm. Where in TX are you fishing?

San Antonio area.  All the places I fish are very clear water creeks.  I probably need to find a muddy lake so they don’t see me as easily.  Lol