Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Allen SS001 or equivalent

Thread - Black 

Tag - Flat gold tinsel

Tail - Golden pheasant tippets

Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel

Body - Black uni stretch or floss

Throat - Brown hen hackle fibers

Wing - White hair (your choice, I used calf tail)

flytire, 

First off, your flies are always spectacular! I look at them frequently for beauty, inspiration and aspiration.

Hard to see scale in this pic, but it looks like about a size 4, maybe a 2?  I have a question....where do you get your calf tail? The stuff I've been getting is only long enough to do a size 4, 2 if I'm lucky...and some is only long enough for Wulff wings. I'd like some hair that will do wings on 2/0 steelhead swingers...I was thinking of bucktail but it's too straight for my liking, I like how calf tail is crinkly...thoughts? 

thanks

i tie most atlantic salmon and steelhead type flies on gamakatsu t10-6h hooks in size 6. im also tyig them on allen ss001 hooks

Where do i buy my calf tails? they are mostly hareline dubbin company and i get them from jstockard

i hope that helps

Thanks for the reply...that does help. I have a Hareline calf tail as well, I think I'll just get some bucktail to use for my bigger stuff...calf tail is still my favorite hair for winging...I'm going to try some squirrel tail at some point too...I noticed you use it a lot too, do you have any tips on suppliers, techniques, etc.? 

Thanks again for all of your posts and information!

Dutch

sorry for the late response

squirrel tails

i order from jstockard

technique

i dont use a large amount of hairs. i trim the butt ends on an angle before tying in. a drop of super glue prior to tying in