Fly Tying
Lance Kekel

Got my Nor Vise today!

I opened up the mailbox today to find my new Nor-vise waiting for me. yahoo.gif

Now the next step, I need to build a base for it and I'm looking for ideas of what's worked and what hasn't from anyone whose done this. dunno.gif

I was initially thinking about building it from 3/4 - 1" thick aluminum stock but I'm thinking this may be overkill and started thinking about oak. What ever I choose I'm going to machine out some depressions for hook magnets and stuff into it. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hey Lance,

Congrat's on the purchase!! I love my Nor-Vise! For me I mounted mine on a 2'*1' L*W piece of oak, my dad took oak hardwood floor scraps and glued them together, beleveled the edges and drilled recess holes in the bottom side to allow for the bolts for the vise and post, I then glued a peice of non slip matting that you'd get at wal-mart for your dish cupboards, creates a very sturdy base that you can take anywhere. It was cheap but looks really nice!! I'd take a picture of it but it's covered in scraps, feathers, tools and other fly tying debris!! LOL!

If you have any operational questions fire away, there's quite a few guys on here that use the Nor-Vise!

Congrat's again!

I went the easy route and bought the whole travel system plust mounting board when I bought mine. That way, I didn't have to mess with nothing. I just opened it up and slapped it together and started tying. Of course this costs more, but I always say, time is money too!!

Jeff

This is what I did. I used wood, drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom and glued in about 50, 50 caliber lead balls for the wieght.

user posted image

A piece of limestone scrap from a stone countertop scrap (dumpster diving). I like mine solid wink.gif

user posted image

Put a cabinet door bumper on each corner to stabilize for any uneven surface.

Hey Gilly,

I believe 'fishinlk' was asking for ideas on how to mount a *real* vise. laugh.gif

I have the original Norlander 'Base Case', the new(ish) Travel System, and a base made from polished 'scrap' marble.

BTW - Your Limestone base looks cool P-Dieter!

"Welcome to the Machine.", fishinlk!

I.B.

I'll post a pic of mine tommrow.I used 3/4" Birch plywood and white washed it.

I went pretty big with the base but it looks sweet and has plenty of room for scraps and tools laugh.gif

I used a piece of star board that I received from the Four Winns boat factory that I use to work at, great piece of material. I found that using this with the white back ground really makes a difference in the lighting system on the fly when working.

For travel, I invested in Norm's two posted system clamps where you are able to take your post and mount them so that you are able to clamp these pieces on a table, just like a traditional vise.

I went to the Nor's site and do not see what I am trying to describe. At any rate I found that if you are able to keep your underneath in a neutral color it really helps in the lighting of the fly.

Best of luck to you and your nor vise. It is a great tool and you will find your self getting spoiled by using it.

Nicholas

I just bolted my Nor-Vise to my desk. I don't travel with it, so I saw no reason to mount it on something portable. BTW, congrats on the vise you'll like it alot.

user posted image

user posted image

Not quite the portable unit laugh.gif I went 22" between the vise and post and it works fine but about 19" is what you need for the bobbin to retract tight to the fly after removing from the post as I have about 3" of loose thread when I return the bobbin to the vise.

Brent.

Cool solution everyone. Wickedcarpenter, I am glad to see that I am not the only one with crystal flash hanging for the arm of their desk lamp. I wonder what other things we all converge on at our tying benches.

That's for the examples eveyone! I never even gave color a thought as far as how it would affect viewing the fly. Definitely something to think about.

Brent, that's a heck of a little station you've built onto the end of that! WOW!

I think I'm going to make a temporary base out of a peice of countertop to see how big it needs to be for stability and once I've determine an appropriate size I'll make my final material selection. I don't want to make the base any larger than I absolutely have to, I have enough other junk on my desk and I need to be able to easily slide it back under my rolltop when I get up so I can do a quick close it up to keep our critters out of my feathers.