Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Rio Bandito Fly

The Rio Bandito fly was originally created by Chris from Living Waters Fly Shop in Round Rock TX.  He designed it to fish for Rio Cichlids that are native to the waters around the hill country here.  It works well for not only Rio's, but sunfish, bass, and other fish as well.  If you want to check out his video on tying it, go to https://vimeo.com/436547115 to see it.  

This is a fairly easy fly to tie, once you learn the techniques.  And while some of the materials can be tough to find, like the opossum fur and the red anodized beads, there are a few places online to find those materials.  And one small swatch of fur can tie at least 15 of these, and leave you with enough dubbing to tie many other flies as well.   In fact, next week I have a video coming out on me tying a pattern with the extra dubbing I got from tying a few of this fly pattern.  

So if you cant find the red anodized beads, thats fine, just use any color you want.  Even Chris says the red beads aren't necessary, but he feels it gives a little hot spot that seems to get the fish to bite more.  But in my experience, they bite just fine with a Gold bead.  

Ah, yes! Another carp fly in the making. Used to look at the fish in the San Antonio River along the Riverwalk. Didn't realize that they were Chiclids. Colorful little fish.