Fly Tying
flytire

Materials

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner and experienced tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

I tried and tried to tie a winged wet fly using duck wing quill slips using the shitty quality wings I had and just couldnt get it right. after 5 attempts i just gave up

the wings were matched (left and right) but definately not from the same bird. they might as well have been the shitty feathers from the craft store

off to the fly shop in either massachusettes or new hampshire to inspect some duck/goose wing feathers. 

Interesting thoughts...but the wings/feathers need not come from the same bird. Just make sure the strips being tied in are the same width and if possible...even to the point of the same number of fibers. On top of that they should come from the same location on the quill as in near the base, the middle or tip. The rest is simply technique.

Good luck on your feather hunt!!

yes they dont have to come from the same bird but at least the suppliers could package feathers of the same size

i will find what i'm looking for

I agree that quality materials and equipment makes fly tying more pleasurable. Why not buy the whole duck wing packaged left and right, I think it goes for a few bucks.

I have heard this advice many times on the net but am yet to use it. When you're looking for something in particular call the "Blue Ribbon Flies". I've heard they actually listen to what you want and will pick and provide it themselves, not just picked out of a bin by a guy on a Segway.

2 hours ago, upnorthtier said:

I agree that quality materials and equipment makes fly tying more pleasurable. Why not buy the whole duck wing packaged left and right, I think it goes for a few bucks.

That’s fine but where can I find red, yellow and other colored whole paired wings?

Any luck on your feather hunt? Well worth the effort if you manage to get the quality you need and want !!!

On 11/25/2021 at 12:08 PM, flytire said:

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner and experienced tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

I tried and tried to tie a winged wet fly using duck wing quill slips using the shitty quality wings I had and just couldnt get it right. after 5 attempts i just gave up

the wings were matched (left and right) but definately not from the same bird. they might as well have been the shitty feathers from the craft store

off to the fly shop in either massachusettes or new hampshire to inspect some duck/goose wing feathers. 

I couldn't agree more.  Just a thought - when I need dyed quill slips I have found it easier to locate dyed goose than duck.