Fly Tying
tctrout

Is Fly Tying Worth It?

Great valid points from everyone , i never got into tying to save money,whereas it was more a curiosity as to making somthing beautiful and functional...i think you can go crazy with every gadget available, but hey to each his own ,i just love to tie its relaxing and mentally stimulating it also has an education level from a science angle , bugs are out there for a reason at certain times of day, hatches ,it all is real and i enjoy learning that aspect an incorporating into my flies.....hey im retired ,i dont golf and its my Hobby. .. 

theres always a new thing to learn from fishing to tying its always moving, i have a ton of materials and plenty of time to enjoy them , i get it some guys may get 1 day off and just dont have time to sit at vice,so they need to manage their time .... maybe when they retire and get more time tying will be more accessible for them 

Well said all- 

It's irrational and I can't explain why- but I certainly get more enjoyment from catching a fish on a fly that came from my vise than I do using a store bought one.  Logic tells me it shouldn't matter where the fly came from,  yet somehow it does.  Maybe it's because I truly enjoy the learning process of tying?  I do like the challenge of trying to replicate a given fly pattern and working at someday mastering the methods and techniques involved.  I'm fascinated with how people through the centuries were able to figure all this out.  So it's irrelevant to me if tying my own flies cost more than buying them from a shop or not.  Tying and fly fishing make my life more enjoyable, what price do you put on that?

The video did not mention the two main reasons I got into fly tying.

There are no fly shops where I live. Even when there was, the bins that held the "hot" flies were empty. So fly tying was a way for me to:

1. Get the fly patterns that I needed to imitate the hatches on the local waters that I was fishing.

2. When I started fly tying, there was no internet. There was no world wide web. We had magazines like Fly Fisherman and Fly Tyer, etc, If you wanted to try a new pattern you read about, there was only one way - you had to tie it.

Many of you are so new to the sport that you cannot remember when emerger patterns did not exist. The first time I found out about emergers when when Gary Borger told me about them and the fact that there were many stages of emergence. Jason Borger's floating nymph was one of the first emerger patterns I found out about. 

http://www.garyborger.com/2012/03/25/low-rider-emerging-nymph/

It is what Gary Borger would call a Transitional Stage 1 Emerger:

"TStage 1. Whether nymph or pupa, the insect pokes the top of its thorax into the surface film, and then its back splits, allowing the adult to emerge. Without this mechanism, most of the smaller species would not be able to break through the tough meniscus.

At this point, the insect is in stage 1 of emergence and is nicely imitated by the Low Rider, which my son Jason designed specifically for this stage.

For film flies, profile is everything. The profile?or visual footprint?at this stage should mimic the nymph or pupa tucked up tight on the underside of the film with its back protruding through the surface. The Low Rider uses the 3/4 hackling technique that places the hackle above the body of the nymph (like a parachute hackle) so that the body lies just under the surface. The delicate proportions make the fly look as natural in the film as possible."

Fly tying is also an opportunity to be creative.I don't follow the "rules" a lot of the time but tie whatever suits me, hoping the fish like it.

Excellent video as usual @tctrout.  I'm not sure if I agree with all your reasons and/or the order of them but is fly tying worth it?  The catching fish on a fly you created waxes and wanes. When it's a pattern I've copied it's not that big a deal, when it's something I've customized for a specific situation its a great feeling. either way when I lose a 3 fly rig I'm not that bummed cause I'll tie more. . Yes, tying flies is most definitely worth it.  If I wanted to save money I wouldn't have any hobbies at all.  I don't begrudge myself spending on materials. Can't remember the last time I went to the fly shop when I actually stuck to the list of "what I needed" without getting one or two "what I wanted"

I think I fall more into @Mark Knapp reasons though it seems he doesn't know the "right" members of the opposite sex. 

@ttroutt, great video. Your enthusiasm is pitch perfect. For me personally...

30 years ago I started tying flies so I wouldn't have to keep buying hare's ear nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs, and the other basic patterns I was buying a lot of and losing too frequently as a relatively new fly fisher. I did catch trout using them, and it was a plus, but ultimately I found myself buying flies again and putting the relatively inexpensive tying stuff in storage. Many, many years later after my perceived work and family responsibilities stopped overwhelming my fly fishing time, I started emerging as a more dedicated fly fisher, and along with that came a desire to get back into tying my own flies.

The real joy of fly tying to me has been part of the joy of what @SilverCreek is getting at -- as a part of understanding and taking part in what's going on in the river between the trout and the bugs they eat. (And that's touched on in your video.) Another part of that joy for me has been watching and learning from the many excellent fly tying videos (including yours) and from the fly tying forums that are now so readily available, and seeing my own skills and knowledge improve. Another part is getting to know the history, and also getting to know the people who are into fishing and fly fishing and fly tying who have deep roots in it, in all different directions, and getting to feel a modest part of that.

As for the money spent, I spend more than I should but less than I could, and I have more tools and materials than I want but I still have a hard time parting with any of them unless I'm giving them to someone else who might have a better use for them. The time spent is far more precious than the money spent, and I spend a lot more time on it than money.

7 hours ago, Sandan said:

Excellent video as usual @tctrout.  I'm not sure if I agree with all your reasons and/or the order of them but is fly tying worth it?  The catching fish on a fly you created waxes and wanes. When it's a pattern I've copied it's not that big a deal, when it's something I've customized for a specific situation its a great feeling. either way when I lose a 3 fly rig I'm not that bummed cause I'll tie more. . Yes, tying flies is most definitely worth it.  If I wanted to save money I wouldn't have any hobbies at all.  I don't begrudge myself spending on materials. Can't remember the last time I went to the fly shop when I actually stuck to the list of "what I needed" without getting one or two "what I wanted"

I think I fall more into @Mark Knapp reasons though it seems he doesn't know the "right" members of the opposite sex. 

Perhaps if I had some Grandchildren of the opposite sex I could impress them with my fly tying. My wife is becoming more and more difficult to impress. Now whenever I show her a fly that I am particularly proud of she just kind of glances up and says "That's nice dear" with not even that much faked sincerity. You're probably right, I don't know any enthusiastic female fly fishers.

6 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

30 years ago I started tying flies so I wouldn't have to keep buying hare's ear nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs, and the other basic patterns I was buying a lot of and losing too frequently as a relatively new fly fisher. I did catch trout using them, and it was a plus, but ultimately I found myself buying flies again and putting the relatively inexpensive tying stuff in storage. Many, many years later after my perceived work and family responsibilities stopped overwhelming my fly fishing time, I started emerging as a more dedicated fly fisher, and along with that came a desire to get back into tying my own flies.

The real joy of fly tying to me has been part of the joy of what @SilverCreek is getting at -- as a part of understanding and taking part in what's going on in the river between the trout and the bugs they eat. (And that's touched on in your video.) Another part of that joy for me has been watching and learning from the many excellent fly tying videos (including yours) and from the fly tying forums that are now so readily available, and seeing my own skills and knowledge improve. Another part is getting to know the history, and also getting to know the people who are into fishing and fly fishing and fly tying who have deep roots in it, in all different directions, and getting to feel a modest part of that.

As for the money spent, I spend more than I should but less than I could, and I have more tools and materials than I want but I still have a hard time parting with any of them unless I'm giving them to someone else who might have a better use for them. The time spent is far more precious than the money spent, and I spend a lot more time on it than money.

Well said, bud.

7 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

8 hours ago, Sandan said:

I appreciate the kind words from both of you. Here's another fun fact: I was hoping this video would speak to those who are thinking about getting into fly tying! Instead, it has really resonated with those who tie. I knew that the majority would answer that tying is worth it (if not, why continue?). But I was really curious to see how we valued that "worth" differently...and there have been a few twists in there from this group.

Sandan - It's all right if our thoughts don't mirror each other; the beauty of fly tying and fly fishing is that we can each take our own path. I sincerely hoped other valued tying for reasons different than mine (well, to catch a fish on a fly you tied yourself is super cool, especially that first time). Oh, btw I lost a couple two-fly rigs today on steelhead...back to the bench soon!

Chugbug27 - The enthusiasm is real and easy to generate when I'm talking about fly fishing. It's a goal to help lessen the learning curve for others when it comes to fly fishing and tying, and my videos have given me that outlet. Glad to know we've been tying for about the same amount of time...I'm up to 32 years!

Tim

6 hours ago, WWKimba said:

That about says it all Kim, I really have to agree with their point about having something fishing related to do during the winter months.  The weather here in New England can be a little brutal in December through March, so I treat that time of year as "Fly Tying  Season".   On dark winter nights while I'm tying some "go to" patterns tying it's nice think about the more memorable takes I've had on the pattern in the vise.  When tying something "new" I like to think of where and how I will fish that particular fly.  It's a good mental escape.  In short fly tying is a way to reinspire myself .

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

That about says it all Kim, I really have to agree with their point about having something fishing related to do during the winter months.  The weather here in New England can be a little brutal in December through March, so I treat that time of year as "Fly Tying  Season".   On dark winter nights while I'm tying some "go to" patterns tying it's nice think about the more memorable takes I've had on the pattern in the vise.  When tying something "new" I like to think of where and how I will fish that particular fly.  It's a good mental escape.  In short fly tying is a way to reinspire myself .

Yes I DO know about the weather.  Lived in central NY all my life and I have 3 words for you - LAKE EFFECT SNOW!  For my college years I even decided to spend them in balmy SUNY at Oswego.  I guess since I was born the first day of winter I'm connected to it.  Besides, I always figured that you can always put on more clothes BUT you can only take off so many before you give someone a good laugh!

Kim

17 hours ago, tctrout said:

I appreciate the kind words from both of you. Here's another fun fact: I was hoping this video would speak to those who are thinking about getting into fly tying! Instead, it has really resonated with those who tie. I knew that the majority would answer that tying is worth it (if not, why continue?). But I was really curious to see how we valued that "worth" differently...and there have been a few twists in there from this group.

Sandan - It's all right if our thoughts don't mirror each other; the beauty of fly tying and fly fishing is that we can each take our own path. I sincerely hoped other valued tying for reasons different than mine (well, to catch a fish on a fly you tied yourself is super cool, especially that first time). Oh, btw I lost a couple two-fly rigs today on steelhead...back to the bench soon!

Chugbug27 - The enthusiasm is real and easy to generate when I'm talking about fly fishing. It's a goal to help lessen the learning curve for others when it comes to fly fishing and tying, and my videos have given me that outlet. Glad to know we've been tying for about the same amount of time...I'm up to 32 years!

Tim

Tim, That's what makes horse races, eh?  Back to the bench for sure.  

I do it to make my own so I don't have to buy them and with cold winter's here in Vermont gives me something to do.  But I also use the materials to tie jigs, which I also make.  

Save money?  I'd have to say no.  

Learned how to prep feathers that duck hunters sent me and learned to dye them so I'm only buying the dye to do them.  But get the really nice big feathers that you usually don't find in the packs at the fly shop.  

I have an old Herter's Vise, a couple Thompsons and I wanted a new vise and years ago bought a Dyna-King Kingfisher.  Can't believe the cost of them now!!  

Like others have traded for different materials and have way more than I'll probably ever use myself.  

Everyone has to decide for themselves how deep into they go.  Mine will NEVER make a show fly but they catch fish.  Good enough for me!