Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Traveling with Medications

has anybody who takes daily medications flown the friendly skies lately?

i will hopefully be traveling to florida and would like to know your experience wit TSA agents

i have searched the TSA website and have read their recommendations but if you get the wrong agent on the wrong day.....

please pm me if you wish to keep your answer private

1. Put all medications as inhalers, nasal sprays, in a clear Ziploc bag where they are visible.

2. I put mine in a pill reminder in the Ziploc bag. I don't carry the six pill bottles for just a few days needs.

3. Have a card or something that identifies the doctors who prescribe the medications. A note listing the medications including OTC and their reason is good.

4. I have my VA card with photo to back up the source for my medications.

Have flown nationally and have had no problems. The main thing is to cooperate by answering their questions.

3 hours ago, flytire said:

something like this should be okay?

4b2364b8-9489-4a90-b3df-bb97ee69c1d7_1.4

I have been flying regularly and using the type of container you showed. I have had absolutely no trouble.

I haven't flown in a few years, but I always used a similar box, one for 7 days with larger compartments.  A list of the medicines, doctor who prescribed them and reason I take them.  Mine always went in my luggage.  I know my luggage was searched a couple of times.  Never had any issues.  Most of my flying was done using a maroon passport, rather than the blue one.  Not sure if it had any effect on how my luggage was handled.  If you've had any joint replacements be prepared to be searched when the alarms go off at the TSA check point.  I had a medical card saying I had joint replacements, didn't do a bit of good.  Got searched anyway.

i have a defibrillator implanted in my chest and i'm surely going to be hand checked by a tsa agent

I travel a lot with liquid medication that exceeds the volume limit. If you keep it with the box it comes in from the pharmacy with the prescription label still on the box, they've never given me a problem.

2 hours ago, flytire said:

Very good to know. I will be traveling with liquids

This is the rule for liquids:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/what-3-1-1-liquids-rule

Anything more must be packed in checked luggage.

Just to be safe take a copy of your prescription with you so you can show it to TSA.

I have found that if you use the Walmart or Sam's Club Pharmacy, even if you are in a different state, you can refill your prescriptions if they are confiscated by TSA.

Silver's the man! My medicine is 3.1 oz, so it comes in below the new 3.4oz rule. When it was a 1oz limit I had no trouble with the 3.1oz bottle as long as I took along the Rx box. However, the new rules Silver points to do still say that rx's are excepted from the 3-1-1 liquids rule. It takes a little digging into the site....

"3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

"TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

"Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag. If a liquid, gel, or aerosol declared as medically necessary alarms, then it may require additional screening and may not be allowed."

Scroll down here for the full details:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures?field_disability_type=1011

It also has a toggle half way down that medication page for specific issues, like external devices.

yup

ive been to the tsa website and have read what it says but.......

its the agent at the airport that has the say as to what gets onboard

Yup, no guarantees there, I think they are just giving themselves leeway. I've never had something withheld and have been flying with a 3oz bottle of Rx meds plus various other tubes and inhalers and pills of meds about 6-8 times a year since 2015. They do often search the bag but I've had no problems if I pack them in with the Rx box.

okay

i'm not changing my pharmacy for a 2 week trip to florida

i'll include a medication list and doctors names with my pill box in a zip lock bag

i just dont want to overthink this

3 hours ago, flytire said:

okay

i'm not changing my pharmacy for a 2 week trip to florida

i'll include a medication list and doctors names with my pill box in a zip lock bag

i just dont want to overthink this

Have fun in Florida