Fly Tying
Coin

Eyes

I would like to ty some small Clouser minnows for Bluegills. Size I would do them in would be 8 and 10. I have no idea what size eye to use or to even try. I don't want to have a bunch of them and not use them. Any ideas as to what size I should start out with? Any special materials that you use for yours I would like to know about. Thanks ahead of time.

Lots of good info in @flytires link.  

Hard to beat the simplicity and effectiveness of a Clouser for panfish.  I keep mine pretty basic: hook, thread, bead chain eyes, bucktail (white, yellow, chartreuse, natural), crystal flash.  Take a look as some of @Phillys posts.  He ties a clean, lean Clouser.  No need to get fancy on them, the simpler ones seem to work better for me, about the fanciest I get is painting the bead chain eyes.  

I like to fish them in the 6,8,10 size range, on a sink tip, letting them go deeper each cast until I find where the fish are holding.  Obviously, tying on a heavier eye will get them down quicker.

Image00001.jpg 

Here's some panfish Clousers I tied up last week.  

DSCF1029.thumb.JPG.591f548405491a08825b9c785382097d.JPG

DSCF1028.thumb.JPG.fe47ae5d889129be0ca7eee0efb9d645.JPG

They're tied on Daiichi 2461, size 6.  Based on the blog that flytire posted the dumbbell eyes are either small or extra-small.   I used bucktail for the wings and crystal flash for the flash.  The reason I used buck tail is I have chubby arthritic fingers and it's easier for me to handle the coarser hair.  As Darrell pointed out, there are other hair options available.  I learned to tie the Clouser using bucktail and that's my preferred material.  I plan to fish these on a leader set to handle a small slip bobber.  I should be able to keep the fly in the strike zone easier.

I have to agree with DarrellP (Hail State). Bead chain eyes are the best option for shallow water gills. After I attach the eyes and make sure the superglue is dry, I like to use  200 grit sandpaper to file down the center of the eye where the wire was. Or you can ream out that hole with a bodkin. The sharp edges can nick your leader. 
I also use 800 grit sandpaper across the entire surface if I’m going to paint the eyes. Sometime a little chartreuse or hot orange can provoke strikes, or you can paint ‘em black for stealth. Here’s an inverted Crazy Charlie style mini Clouser I tie with bead chain for bream and crappie (small bass like it, too).

A9E4335B-07CA-41E9-8AA1-EAD15508D72B.jpeg

Here's a question for you would you use Calf Tail or Craft Fur for the smaller fly's? I am sure most of you use the buck tail but what I am looking at is Hareline Calf Tail assortment for 8 dollars. Good idea or bad idea? Here's my first try using squirrel tail. Bigger picture than what I was expecting.1087184346_squirrelclouser.thumb.jpg.1ed7e388ff3c99c0c6728bbca9250772.jpg

Looks good, Coin.  Photo size is perfect.  Personally, I like to tie mine with a little less material, like the original, but yours will surely catch fish. Squirrel tail is a little on the slippery side, so be sure to bind it down tight.  A little glue on the thread wraps won't hurt either.  

As to material,  though the original was tied with bucktail, the only rule is the one you make.  Buck tail, kip tail, polar bear, black bear, craft fiber, marabou, etc.  They all work.  The softer material has the drawback of fouling on the hook.  Here's an article on using different types of material in a clouser.  

Project Clouser: Materials

Keep tying and posting those flies.  

I use pull chain beads for eyes and weight. I have seen that bluegill will hit anything, though. My mother used to fish with a piece of cane pole, line, hook, small bobber and a piece of red cloth on the hook.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:58 PM, Coin said:

I would like to ty some small Clouser minnows for Bluegills. Size I would do them in would be 8 and 10. I have no idea what size eye to use or to even try. I don't want to have a bunch of them and not use them. Any ideas as to what size I should start out with? Any special materials that you use for yours I would like to know about. Thanks ahead of time.

Don't forget, these are your flies, they will never go to waste! If a tie doesn't turn out like you wanted it to,  who knows that may be the fishes favorite fly! If you just hate and don't want 

to even try to fish it, cut every thing off and start over! Many tight lines, enjoy!