Fly Tying
vicrider

Christmas kick in the ass...

Daughter and two grandkids here for a week. Wife drove them to bus depot to go home. They left and she got sick. This was at midnight. She drove across road and told me she was going to rest before driving back. She got worse and called and said get kid and come down and get her and car. After talking to her I told either she calls 911 or I will. She's in OK City 2 and half hours away. She sounded terrible and said she was dizzy and puking. Must have scared her since she did call 911 and ambulance came and got her from the lot.

Okay, she had a stroke. They got her to ER at a good hospital and after all the tests it's a "small" stroke in the part of the brain that communicates with the inner ear, thus the vertigo. They say time will work it out but not overnight. She's been there for two days and probably one of two more. I stayed at hospital with her last night and then drove home today. If she has to stay overnight tomorrow I will too but had to come home today. She'll also need therapy to help with this. She's been my caretaker for the last few years and now I guess it's my turn.

Nick

So sorry to hear about your wife. It must have been scary, trying to help from a distance. The positives are that it was a small one and she got medical help right away. You are right that as we age we have to alternate taking care of each other.   Try to get some sleep as you will need to be strong and calm.
Tom 

Steve, thank you for that even though you're going through rough stuff yourself. Thanks to the others for well wishes. Have some good news to update. The biggest problem right now after a small clot in the cerebellum section of brain the biggest problem she was experiencing was vertigo and dizziness and nausea. First night in ER was bad. Second night in room was still not good. Then they put a patch behind her ear and dizziness and nausea cleared up and she actually slept and ate some food. After a day of watching, physical therapy checking her walking with and without walker, then a long talk with a good doctor about drugs, supplements (he's not a believer) and some med changes including blood thinner Plavix and the patch until she feels steady without it, I got to take her home late.

It was kind of funny when they were concerned about her BO (not that one, Blood Oxygen) when they took her off oxygen and said they might want to prescribe a temporary oxygen backup. She'd laughed and said my husband brought his portable concentrator, a spare bottle and hookup, and has a floor concentrator at home. Then they asked about a walker just in case and she said, sure, he's got two of those, regular one in house and 4 wheel drive one for outside and fishing. They let her go in my care and questioned if she needs it more or I do. Anyway, she'd home, dogs went nuts, she's feeling almost normal except for fatigue and needed a shower especially for her hair that had probes stuck to it for some tests. I made her use my shower stool and now she's happy to be home and almost normal. As bad as it was where it happened and how it worked out it was best she got into a city hospital with everything available and top docs there and on call versus our little hospital with minimum available testing equipment. She might have ended up mediflighted to city anyway.

I'm late to this party, but looks like I arrived at the right time.  It's good to hear all is going well.  You're right, it's a good thing that it happened in the city and close to the hospital that had what she needed.  Strokes are one of those things that never get better on their own.  Convince her that she needs to take the prescribed meds and supplements.  I've had to help care for a victim of a much worse stroke.  She truly doesn't want to take that chance.

Again, I'm happy to hear you're both doing well at this point!