Fly Tying
Merkexpress

HMH TRV or Stonfo?

On 12/30/2021 at 6:41 PM, DFoster said:

Just to clarify- the grooves are not used on the TRV from sizes 32- 2.  Only on the really large hooks. When they are in the grooves they simply can't slip.

you may not use the grooves but i use the groove closest to the tip of the jaw for size 8 salmon fly hooks and i assure you they slip. maybe the shape of the hook bend plays a role in this. maybe not

maybe i have less than super human strength when tightening the knob than all others that use a trv vise. 

maybe i'll dust it off and try without a hook in the groove

i'm sorry to differ in opinion and my experience differs from everybody else

in the groove

Almvig-1080.jpg

I just sat down a tried a half dozen different size 8 hooks in my TRV and with very little effort I was able to tighten the jaws to hold the hooks in the first groove without any slippage. These hooks included a limerick, model perfect, sproat and sneck bends in trout, salt water and salmon hooks. I did make sure each and every hook was carefully set into the groove from top to bottom of the jaws.

If the vise doesn't work for you I know what I would do if that were the case for me...I'd sell it and buy something else...period.

54 minutes ago, flytire said:

you may not use the grooves but i use the groove closest to the tip of the jaw for size 8 salmon fly hooks and i assure you they slip. maybe the shape of the hook bend plays a role in this. maybe not

maybe i have less than super human strength when tightening the knob than all others that use a trv vise. 

maybe i'll dust it off and try without a hook in the groove

i'm sorry to differ in opinion and my experience differs from everybody else

in the groove

Almvig-1080.jpg

Norm something doesn't sound right-  If the hook is in both the top and bottom grove is shouldn't be able to move even with the jaws only loosely tightened.  Perhaps something is wrong with your vise? I don't know if your planning on going to Marlborough in 2 weeks but Jon and HMH usually have a booth.   I'm sure he would take some time to diagnose your vise.  The photo you posted looks correct so all I can think is that there is a defect somewhere.  My vise does not require cranking on the knob to hold size 28-10 hooks, just finger tight and a quarter turn past that and It's good.  Sizes 8 and larger require a good twist past finger tight if I'm not using the grooves.  If the hook fits in the groves then finger tight will hold it.

15 minutes ago, flytire said:

i'll use my judgement as to what i do with the vise. thank you

That's fine...I simply said I know what I'd do if it were mine...not telling you what to do.

Sorry if you were offended.

@DFoster

my trv is a 2019 model and maybe the newer jaws are machined better

as i mentioned i have arthritis and trigger fingers in my right hand (less severe in my left) and that may be the problen in tightening the knob

i will try again tying with it but i wont use the grooves

i dont think i'll attend the marlborough show with this new covid variant spreading like wild fire

i tighten the cam lever renzetti traveler with my left hand and no slippage

1 hour ago, flytire said:

@DFoster

my trv is a 2019 model and maybe the newer jaws are machined better

as i mentioned i have arthritis and trigger fingers in my right hand (less severe in my left) and that may be the problen in tightening the knob

i will try again tying with it but i wont use the grooves

i dont think i'll attend the marlborough show with this new covid variant spreading like wild fire

i tighten the cam lever renzetti traveler with my left hand and no slippage

There's nothing wrong with cam lock vises sir-

I have both types. The HMH TRV and a Renzetti Master Series. They are both great vises. I believe the TRV's design based on the legendary LAW vise is ergonomically superior and that is why I use it most often. It is just very comfortable to work on.

As far as being able to tighten up the TRV enough for you to use regularly I have a thought. Take a small of pliers, thoroughly wrap the jaws in some kind of strong tape (duct tape??) and carefully experiment on using that kind of setup to obtain the hold you need with damaging the vise. Perhaps a pair of vise grips which can be set to stay open at a certain width to help avoid doing any damage to the vise.

By the way, the TRV jaws are not machined, they are investment cast tool steel.

Pelletier-1080.jpg

tied using the trv with the hook in the "groove" nearest the tip. i tightened the knob with both hands. as i was winding the hackle the hook would just slip downwards. i am not a heavy handed tyer

i did notice the grooves on the far side jaws are barely noticeable

i also inserted the hook outside of the groove, tightened the knob as tight as i could and was able to move the hook up and down with little pressure

i dont think i'll be using pliers, vise grips or pipe wrench to tighten the knob. the threads on the knob could strip if over tightened and then i'm left with a paperweight. i'm sure nobody would do that to their vise

I had an issue with my HMH Standard holding any hook size 6 or larger. Called HMH and they had me  send it back. Few weeks later I got it back with a brand new set of jaws. Call them. I'm sure they will make it right.

edit. I guess I did it all via e-mail

Hi Don Sorry you are having a problem, but it can happen with jaws. The hardening process is part science, part art, and, although each jaw is thoroughly tested here, they sometimes fail later. Please send it back and we will replace it for you.

Barbara

HMH Vises

14 Maine St. Box 18

Brunswick ME 04011

Edited by caddis16

6 hours ago, flytire said:

Pelletier-1080.jpg

tied using the trv with the hook in the "groove" nearest the tip. i tightened the knob with both hands. as i was winding the hackle the hook would just slip downwards. i am not a heavy handed tyer

i did notice the grooves on the far side jaws are barely noticeable

i also inserted the hook outside of the groove, tightened the knob as tight as i could and was able to move the hook up and down with little pressure

i dont think i'll be using pliers, vise grips or pipe wrench to tighten the knob. the threads on the knob could strip if over tightened and then i'm left with a paperweight. i'm sure nobody would do that to their vise

Do yourself a favor and contact HMH directly in Biddeford, Maine; 207-729-5200. Jon Larrabee is a good guy and he/they will work with you. It would seem your only other alternative is get rid of the vise since it is of no use to you. Spend the money from the sale of the TRV on a Renzetti Master 2000...what I call the mini-master. Wonderful and very versatile vise!!

George

You "sound" a little pissed off...correct? For someone who ties as much as you do and obviously loves tying I believe you did the right thing to help you stay in the game based on what you've said about your arthritis and trigger finger. All of us here were trying to look out for your best interest...and that's a fact.

Take a good look at the Renzetti Presentation 2000  series of vises. Like I said before, they are like a Master on a smaller scale and a truly fine lifetime vise.

Good luck !!!!

Cheers,
George

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

You "sound" a little pissed off...correct? 

Take a good look at the Renzetti Presentation 2000  series of vises. Like I said before, they are like a Master on a smaller scale and a truly fine lifetime vise.

Good luck !!!!

Cheers,
George

pissed off? %#ck no!! i'm happier than a pig eating shite!!!

ill continue to use my renzetti traveler as my lifetime vise (since 1988)

no need for presentation or master. they wont improve my tying

9 hours ago, flytire said:

i sold the damn thing

giphy-downsized.gif

I'm sorry to hear that. I had a surprise for you . Like everyone else, I was hoping I could help you enjoy your vise more and I know you didn't ask for anything.