Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uncletube

Typical Mid Missouri Bluegill

Sorry I haven't been around here much recently, but, as you can see from the picture the big Bluegill have been hitting. And I have bben spending a lot of spare time either fishing for them or tying bluegill flies. Next to trout they are my favorite fish to catch. ( not to mention to eat! )

This particular bull came from a local lake that is managed by the Missouri department of Conservation as a trophy bluegill area and measured 10 1/2 inches long and a gerth of 10 inches. The area has a smaller creel limit than other lakes in Mo. 5 over 9 inches verses 30 with no length limit.

Though most ponds and lakes in this part of the state have nice gills in them the few that are managed as Bluegill trophy areas have fish that top 12 inches or better.

On this particular evening I stuck one that would push the state record , Unfortunatley he got me into brush and I couldn't horse him out with the 4 weight.

Next time I am taking the 6 weight!!!!!

Tube blink.gif

post-23-1114977144.jpg

Nice Gill! What part of Missouri you from?

I live in St. Charles.

I've only seen gills that big at Counsel Bluffs(sp) usually around June

Duckydoty

Duckdoty,

I live about 20 miles east of Columbia just off I 70 in the town of Auxvasse. The big gills here start as soon as the water gets to be about 55 to 60F and hold close to some serious brush in fairly shallow, water 4 to 6 feet deep. If you ever get over this way drop me a PM and I will show you where to go.

Tube blink.gif

I get that way quite a bit during duck season. Eagle bluffs and grand pass. Maybe I'll have to start road tripping for some gills that way. Its only 90 miles biggrin.gif

Nice to see another Missourian on here. The Michigan guys are kinda taking things over tongue.gif

Duckydoty

Although there are bunches of MI guys here there are several guys from MO here as well . They just don't post as much

Tube

You are a duck hunter eh? We need to talk.

Getting fired up over Gills, YEA!

Mine haven't moved up yet. I've seen Bulls on beds when my son and I have been snorkeling the size your talking about. It's just tough to get the fly past the other ones. Keep updating the progress of the program.

nice fish.

I've taken about a half dozen similar in size to that fish so far this spring, though they've yet to get really active.

good fun.

mgj

Well, I can't just let y'all talk "gills in Mo." without stickin' my head in the door.

Live from Gravois Mills