Fly Tying
DarrellP

Fun with fur in February--In the mail.

Halfway done. Got 12 deer hair caddis bodies tied up while the baby was napping. Just have to find time to do the hair wing. Maybe time for some benadryl...

Flies in the mail today.  I brought an extra apple for all the ponies!

Kim

On 1/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, DarrellP said:

You guys are quick.

yup

the quicker they get in the quicker they come back 😀

Finally got flies I finished two weeks ago in mail yesterday. Dozen colorful H&L Variants flying Northwest now.

If no one has ever heard the story about the H&L Variant it is quite interesting. President Eisenhower would go to fish the Frying Pan River with guide R.C. Coffman. Coffman introduced Ike to the H&L Variant and the fish it caught made the rest of the story. An interesting note was that before Ike went fishing they would heavily stock the area he would fish and cordoned it off. After he left the locals knew just where to go to fill their freezers with the fish left behind. The following is how Coffman later named the fly and his corner lot on the Frying Pan was recently sold and his tying shack is still there last I could find.

"The H&L Variant is a classic American dry fly with a pretty cool history. R.C. Coffman of Colorado tied the first H and L Variant in the mid 50's, and apparently sold so many to President Eisenhower that he said he was able to buy a “house and a lot” (thus the “H” and “L”) on the Frying Pan River in Colorado."