Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Help for tying #18 midges with fat fingers

I am not a beginning fly tier by any stretch of the imagination (4+ years on the bench)... however, I have recently decided I want to tie small midges (size #18), so I purchased some different hooks, and now I am trying to figure out if there is something I am not aware of when tying them since I have fat fingers (which have given me problems in the past).

Any suggestions would be welcome, as would any YouTube videos;  I have searched Google, but found nothing (not surprising!).

TIA... SpokaneDude

I have found using thinner thread and 1/.8 of what I think should go on the hook helps.

Also I worked my way down from size 14 hooks.

Rick

I started using magnification for 14 and smaller. Just a cheap pair of magnifiers clipped to a hat brim is all but it helps me to see what I’m doing around my fat fingers. Magnification and good lighting is very helpful. 

I to have fat fingers and these days some arthritic ones.  In my prime I could tie down to size 32, even tied one on a Mustad size 32.   Around here, at least, the streams I fish here have mayfly hatches, but midges and caddis dominate.   I experimented, initially starting with a TMC 2457, but eventually settled on using the TMC 2488 for both.   The main reason for using it for the one caddis pattern I use, the CDC and Elk, is that if you look at a caddis fly it's body only makes up a third of the total length of a caddis.  For midges, the 2488 has a 2 X short shank.  Theoretically, the shank length on a size 20 2488 should be the same length as a size 24 standard dry fly hook.  I've compared them and it's close enough for government work.  My standard midge hook is a size 20 2488.   Another advantage is they have a wider gape than a standard dry fly hook.   Give them a try.  Start with a size 18, and that's the largest I've used for midges.    

I have fat stumpy fingers, before I left Colorado I was tying tricos down to 24 and BWOs down to 20. I found that working your way down helps, but also learning to use different parts of your fingers helps too. For example, I started out using the whole pad of my finger which was fine for size 14 and bigger but as I worked my way down I found that using my finger tips is better. Also, make sure your fingers are not cracked (I use O'Keefes Working Hands constantly as my job beats my hands to pieces), dirty, etc. as this can snag thread and materials. A few other considerations... try using a prepared tyers wax (Semperfly, Veniards, Overtons, etc.) it's cheap and will give your thread tons of grip and hold materials in place better so you don't have to use your fingers as much. Check out Davie McPhail's You Tube channel and watch how he ties small flies and how he uses the wax. He also has a video on how to prepare the wax cake for use. I follow his methods and they do work. Hope this helps and good luck on the journey!

Hopperfisher:  thanks for the info; I find it hard to understand Davie McPhail, so that leaves me in the cold as far as following what he's saying;  however, you have given me great ideas and I will for sure try them out, especially the O'Keefes and using my finder tips... 

Thanks again and Stay safe!  SpokaneDude

2 hours ago, SpokaneDude said:

I find it hard to understand Davie McPhail,

Listen to enough of his videos and you'll get an ear for his lovely brogue.  Just DO NOT turn on the close captioning.  It is so far off that, besides being amusing, you'll really have no idea what he said.

Noahguide:  I'm too old (79) and don't have the patience to listen to him for any length of time... but thanks anyway... 😀

SD

4 hours ago, SpokaneDude said:

Hopperfisher:  thanks for the info; I find it hard to understand Davie McPhail, so that leaves me in the cold as far as following what he's saying;  however, you have given me great ideas and I will for sure try them out, especially the O'Keefes and using my finder tips... 

Thanks again and Stay safe!  SpokaneDude

Glad I could help! Davie can be hard to understand for sure...if you get some wax and need help preparing it, let me know...a decent hackle plier will be your friend as well, not only for winding hackle but winding fine wire, body materials, floss, etc. and holding tension on things like peacock herl, pheasant tail fibers, biots and the like...tying small stuff can be very rewarding but frustrating at the same time...let us know how it goes and post some pics and we can help!