Fly Tying
richmce

ned rig style flies

the ned rig has been a hot tactic for spin anglers the last 4-5 yrs.   has anyone been making stand up style flies to match the popular 3inchplastics? .i have used 90 degree hooks with the dumbell weight tied on the eye shank to make them stand up.   they have worked  

1187576738_5E444113-2536-492F-8D6C-9D5371A2BFC4(1).JPEG.68d42f73f04a985551936a7c1dc25dec.JPEG

I saw a video on YouTube once where the tyer used the FishSkulls Sculpin heads and a jig hook to create a stand up minnow. I didn't have any of the FishSkulls so I took a large lead dumbbell and pounded it flat. The hook is a standard Mustad 3407 hook. The bucktail gives buoyancy to the fly so it floats vertically above the weight. 

I tie flies on 1/32 lead head 90 degree jig hooks and fish them with a sinking tip line, let it sink, and vary my type of retrieve.  Would that be considered a Ned style fly?  IMO, any material with enough body to it and tied on a 90 degree weighted jig hook could be considered a Ned style fly, but I'm no marketing guru, nor much of a bass fisherman.  

i typed "ned rig" in the google machine and found this

ned_jigs_crayfish__40890.1577123959.jpg?

Egan's+HeadStand+1.jpg

try "headstander flies" in the google machine for additional photos.

Another pattern that would be similar to the photo Flytire posted "Johnson's Pitch Hitter".

I have some 1/20 oz, Ned jigs that I plan to tie my most productive crayfish pattern on.  Might even tie a couple of mop flies on them They're light enough that I can cast them with my fly rod.  I have tied pattern on some heavier jigs that I'll use with my spinning rod.  Here's the two I tied on a 1/5 oz  Ned jig(rig).

DSCF1068.thumb.JPG.5cfa305e4d02cf755ce6b4dbe94f8060.JPG

DSCF1067.thumb.JPG.24c85cef6e9fe706afdbf7a96959819f.JPG

These are Rich's flies.  My apologies for not getting it put on here earlier.  Work and life got in the way this week.

Rich_flies.jpg

thanks mike.  you can see how simple the weight is on the two bare hooks.   the first black worm on upper left and the gray worm is furled pixie dust yarn, same as the yarn at bottom. pic doesnt show the sparkle that's in it. same as the body of the two minnow patterns, the body is white pixie dust and satin fibers.

I pour, fish and lose a lot of traditional Ned jigs for spin fishing. They are super productive if you can fish sloooooooooooow. Ned jig heads are very light so why not just tie on them. The smallest I pour are 1/16th oz which seems close to the size of large dumbell eyes. Im confident Ned flies would be equally productive if you can fish slooooooooooooow. Slower than you have ever fished before. 

A larger mop body makes a nice Ned jig on a 90 degree jig head and lead eyes.  Like Philly I make a sweet craw jig for the spinning rod that catches everything in the creek  - pine zonker "claws" and scud back for the carapace over estaz coupled with lots of small rubber legs tied at the lead and hook point junction -- nothing easier to load up on the smallies and rockbass and carp and mr whiskers.  

11 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Why not use some 1/16 oz jigs and tie on them?

I think it depends on what weight rod you're using.    I mainly use a 6 wgt for my bass fishing, so I'm planning on using the 1/20 oz Ned jigs to tie my crayfish patterns on.  They're not cheap.  You get 5 in a pack for about $5.  I already have a few, but I'll probably order another pack or two.   

One of the hot topics on a couple of other fly fishing boards is the "balanced jig", well "balanced leech".  It takes a little bit of work to make one, and in the end, they pretty much resemble a ball jig, the standard type of jig head.  You can buy them as small as 1/100 oz and they even come in colors and they're cheap.  What it comes down to, I think, is the shape of the jig head.  It's going to influence the action of the body when the jig is retrieved.  I would imagine the shape of the head has a great deal to do with why the Ned jig is so effective.  Plus fishing slowly. 

What options do we have in fly tying, unless we decide to say "screw it, I'm just going to use jigs.  We have tungsten or metal beads, dumbbell eyes,  cones or metal fish skulls to tie  "jigs".   Beads will give you basically "ball" jigs.   Dumbbell eyes are also "ball" jigs, more stable because they sit on the "eyes".  You can change up the way the fly sits, by using different styles of jig hooks.  Rich, it looks like yours are  tied on 90° jig hook.  The "Headstander" appears to be tied on a 60° jig hook and there are also 45° jig hooks.  The angle will affect the way the fly looks standing still,  and the action when you move it.  I haven't tried it on a jig hook, but I think I'll tie up couple is to tie  the  dumbbell eyes in "Clouser" style, 1/3 of the way down the shank from the angle, rather than against the angle or on the angle of the jig hook.  I think it would create a "slider" style jig, which would drop differently, retrieve differently and sit differently on the bottom.   Now that I've thought about it, cones and fish skulls would be better suited for straight shanked hooks, particularly if they have flattened sides.

Time for lunch, and see what a clouser style crayfish would look on a jig hook.