Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

13' spey rod

Feels good to be back in the shop. Latest off the bench, 13ft glass spey rod. That was a lot of wrapping if I do say so myself lol. Owner wanted a "redington butter stick" theme which I think came out pretty nicely.

FfSEUGW.jpg

WdT5jmD.jpg

VKgRbz3.jpg

Steve,

Wow, a 13' glass spey rod!  I did  not know you made them.

What grain weights are available and what blank is used? 

Glad you re back at your craft too. 

I do everything, this spey is for a 550 grain. Customer supplied the blank but I can get them myself, so if you'd like a quote on something specific let me know.

Thanks, it's been a LONG month back, but I'm back, have over 30 rods ahead of me though 😬 So I may sneak off somwhere to get away from them lol

Mike,

They are a lot of fun to fish.  Playing big fish on them gives you a definite edge as they bend deep w/o the risks of breakage or pulling hooks. And freeing a snagged hook does not include the risk of hospitalization from the returning missile. Casting is also fun but you have to slow down the stroke like you do with bamboo and let the rod do the work.  They are also more durable than graphite.

The one downside is that they are heavier than state of the art graphite -- especially in spey rods -- and most modern reels are way to light to balance them.  Older Hardy, other classics, and even some ORVIS reels do the job. 

8 hours ago, Rocco said:

They are a lot of fun to fish.  ...    Casting is also fun but you have to slow down the stroke like you do with bamboo and let the rod do the work.  They are also more durable than graphite.

I agree, I enjoy casting a nice slow rod.  And using one would make those little fish Mike posts videos of catching feel a lot bigger.