Fly Tying
bing_tx

Thoughts on Griffin Vises

On 1/8/2022 at 9:42 PM, bing_tx said:

Hello everyone. I’m a new to tying and the forum. I’ve been fly fishing for about 6 years. I recently went into a fly shop looking for a new reel and starting talking with a few guys in the shop as they were tying. I went home and went down a long YouTube rabbit hole on fly tying. I returned to the shop the next day and purchased some materials and tools suggested by the staff and a Griffin Montana Mongoose vise. 
I’ve heard conflicting opinions about this vise. Everything from “it’s an over-price piece of crap” to “it should last you a long time” to “it’s pretty advanced for someone just starting out.” 
I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts from those in the know. 
Thanks.  

BF9BE03C-7D26-4F75-96B1-C02721F2C6D5.jpeg

They work great and will last for ever! However, those little knobs will sure hurt your fingers! Find something for your fingers!

My first fly at my first lesson...basic black wooly bugger. I was proud as hell.

Don't know much about your vice, but if you look around you will see lots of them used by tyers.

Any Griffin is always good quality, they will last forever! I started on a Griffin Spyder. The only reason I switched to Peak

is those small screws after a while of tying cause my fingers to hurt! I may be the only one they bother. When I tie I usually

stay a while. Those small front screws to hurt. I still have my Spyder, it just gathers dust in the corner! This is an awesome

thing to be involved in. People are always so helpful, the fine folks give you great advise and tips. I've been tying a little over 15 years

I find it very relaxing! I hope you enjoy as much as I do! Many tight lines!