Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Fly Challenge #5

Ok this time we are doing a dry fly guys. This one is a classic Adams dry fly supplied by OSD.

have fun and let's see what you guys have.

Challange fly #5

user posted image

Plumbob,

The Adams you tied with the extended body looks great. I just started flytying and I've been wondering how to create a mayfly's body that looks realistic like that. Would you mind sharing your material list with me ?

Mike

No problem-

Thread- black

Hook- Mustad 9523

Tail- wood duck

Body- moose mane

Wings - partridge

hackle- silver badger

Its not a pattern that holds up well, but it can pull a trout up when nothing else will.

The fly is called "Sybils Choice"

I don't think so, I'm heading down to Tenn. tomorrow and have to pack a bunch of stuff. Goin to try to catch some of them Tenn. trout.

Well, since Plumbob is enjoying himself down in Tennessee, he probably won't see part two of my question for a while... Can someone tell me how he tied the abdomen? I'm guessing here, but it looks like two seperate colors of thin foam. If it is, what's it wrapped around to connect the tail and create the curl ?

I'm away from my fly tying materials for the next week and a half but when i get back I'm going to work on a pattern i like and submit a pic.

Here is a variation I tied of the adams. I used some pike materials I had out combined with some traditional adams materials. I wished it had turned out better but as a concept I think it works. The wing and tail are crystal flash and the body is steel gray antron. it is tied on a size 16 dry hook but with 3/0 thread--what I get for being lazy! dunno.gif

user posted image