Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_in_Louisiana

First Marsh Trip of 2022

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share a few photos from my first marsh trip of 2022.

These trips have become a bit of a tradition as the redfish can be on absolute fire if I time the tide and weather correctly.

That proved to be the case  two and a half out of four days on this trip as I landed ~40 reds on day 1.  And combined with my cousin for 90-100 reds before the weather went south.

Other highlights include a flounder on the fly for both of us, a sheepshead I sadly lost and the large trout (20+") my cousin caught on spinning gear from the side of the road (fly rods weren't even rigged yet).

More pics and the full story are at the blog link below:

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/january-redfish-2022-edition/

2891dac6-75e6-4c85-b4a6-9c0b8049091b-sca

img_3612-scaled.jpg

img_3596-scaled.jpg

0b0ead8e-3d24-4e65-a3ac-63f648eca8a5-sca

img_3603-scaled.jpg

Good trip! I caught a redfish in Tampa Bay years ago. Delicious. Used to get stuffed flounder when we lived in North Carolina. Nothing like going from saltwater to the table.

Y'all do have some well fed redfish up your way... .Great pics by the way... My old Maverick couldn't get close to where you're fishing... That's real skinny water...

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Y'all do have some well fed redfish up your way... .Great pics by the way... My old Maverick couldn't get close to where you're fishing... That's real skinny water...

Believe it or not, that was after the tide had risen for half the day.  We were belly crawling kayaks through the muck to get out there at dawn.  Well worth it though when the fish are biting.

14 hours ago, Martyurl said:

Hey

just moved to New Orleans buying my kayak from Massys this weekend 

Can you give any insider info on where launch?

-MU

Shoot me a PM, and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Chris

On 1/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Nice looking reds. Those flounder are such an odd looking fish, cool that you got one on a fly.

Thanks, Steve.  Hoping I can learn to repeat the process with more regularity.  They're considered unicorns in local "slam" fishing tournaments, so figuring them out on the fly would put me a step ahead of the local spin fishing crowd.

Chris