Fly Tying
mrgramps

HELLO FROM COLORADO

I'm a fly fisherman as well as a tier with over 50 years of tying experience. My Wife gave me my first tying kit way back when we first started our 51 + years of happily married life, little did she know then what the outcome would be. Over the years I've tied for for shops in Colorado which are now gone. In 2005 I was taken ill by a muscular disease and that put a end to my fishing with a fly rod but now I use my spinning rod and bubble using wet flies. I still enjoy the thrill of the catch then the release of those Browns on our river nearby. I must admit I do on occasion get the occasional stares from the long rodders but that's ok. I started an at home mail order materials business which I enjoyed for many years until the medical problem hit me which during this time I made friends with many tiers from all over the United States and I still on occasion hear from them. I took up building fly rods for friends and that took off into a small custom rod building venture. I can't recall how many rods I built for both fly and spinning.

I love tying up the wet flies for my Wife and I and I supply all of our children with wet flies for their fishing outings. My wife and I were on the river in September and she had a fantastic day. The first day out she hooked into and released a beautiful Brown Trout that went a little over five pounds the three days later we went back to the same area and she hooked onto another Brown Trout that was a little over three pounds and a week later we went to a lake in a wilderness area that was new to us and she was into Rainbows within ten minutes after out arrival. Long story short she out done me but that was great. Just to hear her excitement of catching those browns and the Rainbows made for a wonderful fall. The rainbows that she caught were on a fly of her design many years ago.

I'm always looking for a new wet fly pattern and giving it a try. So many flies , so little time to use them all.

Welcome to the site!  You'll find that there are A LOT of members that share your tying, fishing and rod building experiences and some newer to these experiences that would LOVE to hear your points and learn from them!  I'm a born and bred central NYer myself.   I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting swaps for the past 11 years.  Just posted my new swap - The Ladies Night Swap - fly patterns designed by women and due in March (Women's History Month).

I hope that we cross paths and until then,

Tight lines!

Kim

On 1/22/2022 at 1:20 PM, mrgramps said:

So many flies , so little time

Ain't that the truth.  Welcome to the site.  Glad to hear you're still able to wet a line.  

Glad to be here. Thank you for your welcome niveker.

it's going to take me some time to learn how to reply properly to all who have welcomed me but I will learn.

1 hour ago, mrgramps said:

Thank you for you welcome skeet3t. 

You are welcome. My father was stationed at Colorado Springs during WWII. Loved it!  I asked why he didn't stay. He said all they had was cattle ranching and mining. So in 1946, he went back to Ohio to a dairy farm. I don't recall you milk beef cattle.

37 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

You are welcome. My father was stationed at Colorado Springs during WWII. Loved it!  I asked why he didn't stay. He said all they had was cattle ranching and mining. So in 1946, he went back to Ohio to a dairy farm. I don't recall you milk beef cattle.

Was he at the Fort Carson, the US army base?