Fly Tying
DarrellP

How many fly fish only?

Moistly fly fish, but using a spinning rod at he places where there is not room to cast. Use a bubble and flies on the spinning rod.

Rick 

I was in the fly fish only mode for some years with the  exception of some trips with my sons and brother.3 guys in a boat and all that.Last year i started bringing a heavy spinning rod for bass in the weeds,I always try to get them to chase a bass bug on the surface but i also like to catch fish.I fished with "gear" since i could walk basically .Isn't it all gear?Now i have grandkids to teach and they will learn to fly fish if they choose after they learn to catch fish,tie knots,handle the fish with respect and just enjoy being out there.Really sick of the stigma around what method you use to catch fish with and  puts you in one camp  or the other.I encounter maybe 1 person per season with a fly rod.I am a blue collar urban redneck kind of guy and don't fit the typical fly fisher type.I use a lot of rods and reels as old as i am on purpose .I like old glass and cane flyrods.My spinning gear is the opposite.Modern sensitive graphite and the best reels i can afford.I too only fish with flies i have tied myself.

I love fly fishing, but I started at 6 with worms. Graduated to lures in high school, while still using some live bait on occasion. I was introduced to serious fly fishing on Michigan's Au Sable River at 36. Bought a place on a trouty creek in that area at 49 and got into fly tying, both for myself and a well known fly shop. Since then ( I'm 74 now), I continued to fly fish for not just trout, but most freshwater species, and some saltwater ( tarpon, bonefish, bonita). Still, I have continued to use lures and bait all that time spinning and bait casting.

I love it all!