Fly Tying
niveker

Odd, Strange, Unique Objects, in the woods and on the water...

Bushwhacking with the dog yesterday, I came across this engine block in the middle of the woods, nothing else around, no old trails or cart paths that I could see. 

Makes me wonder how something this heavy gets set down in the middle of nowhere.  Anyone else come across strange, out of place things while in the woods and/or on water?

IMG-3075.jpg

That engine block is older than the nearby trees.  Mother doesn't take that long to reclaim the natural areas.  I once found a big cathode tube type TV about 1/2 mile from the nearest dirt road or snowmobile trail in the woods.  Looked newer than the one in my living room then.  

I would hate to think I carried that waay back into the woods. The Great Smoky Mountains NP has a couple of old cars t hat got "caught" when the park was formed. There is an old Cadillac there but don't remember the area. My son and I found the body of an old car similar to the Model T Ford style of the day. No way to identify it.

You should have the metal analyzed.  Perhaps it's an alien artifact, disguised as an old engine block.

51 minutes ago, mikechell said:

You should have the metal analyzed.  Perhaps it's an alien artifact, disguised as an old engine block.

That was my thought. It is green like a chameleon, perhaps it’s the alien trying to blend with the tree. 

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Good one, flytire, I'd be buying  a new pair of waders if I came across that while fishing.   

No worries niveker just carry Jack Links Jerky when fishing...

Here's another one I came across a few years ago while winter scouting a thin blue line.  A lonely, solitary gravestone, the grounds around it looking to be somewhat maintained, or at least cleared of tree debris.  I knew I was on private land, though not posted, at this point so I didn't explore further.  Looking at satellite photos later, there is an old home a few hundred yards away through the woods, and I have since found the cemetery marked on a few old topo maps.  Makes me wonder how many unmarked old family plots exist in the New England woods.  

IMG-20181209-122601.jpg

20 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Was there a name or dates on the headstone?

There were engravings on one side, I think.  I thought I had a photo of it, but can't find it. I'll have to revisit the site this winter.