Fly Tying
niveker

Odd, Strange, Unique Objects, in the woods and on the water...

What do the other sides of the post say? I'm guessing this is a railroad mile marker. I'm suspect 1909 is the date, B is Boston (you are somewhere in New England), and on the other side would be the miles to Boston, maybe?  Several of those on old yet still-active rail lines nearby although I have never seen one on the abandoned rail line in our town.

40 minutes ago, Ephemerella said:

What do the other sides of the post say? I'm guessing this is a railroad mile marker. I'm suspect 1909 is the date, B is Boston (you are somewhere in New England), and on the other side would be the miles to Boston, maybe?  Several of those on old yet still-active rail lines nearby although I have never seen one on the abandoned rail line in our town.

On the side directly opposite the B was a 'W'.  Which, if you were on a train and the W was facing you, you would be travelling east.  This is @ 60 miles west of Boston, actually pretty close to the Brookfield and West Brookfield town lines.  No other numbers or letters.  

I think it was too far off the track to be a railroad signpost, probably @ 100'.  Usually they are much closer.  I'm thinking maybe a town boundary marker, although I'm not sure they exist, nor have I ever seen or heard tell of them before.   

I found this off trail last autumn, I don't know what it is- Lean too?  Kids?  Earthy Hippies,  Sasquatch?  It was about a 100' off a well used trail.

QUINA_SQUATCH.thumb.JPG.5cbbdab5bf4e8160735e83dd755576d0.JPG

I'm guessing you are correct, the West Brookfield - Brookfield town boundary marker. Looking at town zoning maps for the two towns, the south edge of the railroad ROW has two sharp angles that are corners of the West Brookfield / Brookfield town line. Perhaps the ROW is 200 ft wide, with 100 ft to the south being a corner of the town boundary?  Or perhaps Sasquatch left it...Not too far from the 'squatch lean-to DFoster posted. 

12 minutes ago, Ephemerella said:

corners of the West Brookfield / Brookfield

That's about the location.  

DFoster, there are photos of similar shelters of sticks and mounds of grass in various places in Ohio. Don't know why a human-type person would go to the trouble to do that.

The Smoky Mountains National Park has cemeteries and single graves throughout the park. The main ones are at the churches in Cades Cove but many are scattered. Some only have a marker with nothing to identify the person. It is surmised that the person was buried where they died.

DFoster,

Looks an awful lot like shelters my kids made in the woods when they were in Scouts. Leaves or leafy boughs covering the sticks....or Sasquatch did it...

I hike past this frequently and have never figured out it's intended purpose.  Seems to be some sort of poured concrete foundation was started.  In the background you can make out the other stepped end just to the left of the tree platform.  The kids have turned this into an occasional party spot.  

1525.jpg

From the opposite end: 

1537.jpg

And of course, a hike in the New England woods isn't complete until you come across a random stone structure of some sort.  

1468.jpg

Found an 8 lb. dumbbell in my tailwater years ago. Had a piece of rope on it. I figured it got hung  up and they cut the rope to keep from swamping. Also found pink Powerbait. Tried it and it didn't work.

On 2/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, skeet3t said:

DFoster, there are photos of similar shelters of sticks and mounds of grass in various places in Ohio. Don't know why a human-type person would go to the trouble to do that.

The Smoky Mountains National Park has cemeteries and single graves throughout the park. The main ones are at the churches in Cades Cove but many are scattered. Some only have a marker with nothing to identify the person. It is surmised that the person was buried where they died.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:43 PM, Ephemerella said:

DFoster,

Looks an awful lot like shelters my kids made in the woods when they were in Scouts. Leaves or leafy boughs covering the sticks....or Sasquatch did it...

Interesting thoughts guys-   I know the green hippie kids like to pile stones for some reason I haven't yet figured out so maybe this follows the same logic?  And I'm pretty sure a Sasquatch would need to build something much bigger and more robust.  So I'm going with a scouts shelter, but I'll still keep an eye out for a Squatch just incase. 😲