Fly Tying
breambuster

Crappie Jigs Anyone?

Nice, just in time.  Ice is all gone, snow is all melted, unseasonably warm in the 60's today, water temps should be rising soon, crappie will be coming in.   

They'll banging the crappies good around here. I have plenty of jigs but look forward to this set. Now I need to get in gear and get out and learn the tricks of my new motor I just bought. A 9.9hp Tohatsu that cost about the same as the 16' Sylvan Sea Monster with a 50hp Force I bought new many years ago. 'Course, it was time for this old man to have electric start and power trim on even a small outboard on my boat. The Sand Bass, or in other parts of the world, the White Bass will also be running soon in rivers and schooling up at river mouths in the lakes.

After a couple of years of not fishing anywhere I am finally hoping to be able to get out regular this year and yesterday I actually went to a stocked trout pond and caught and released about 4 trout and a couple of small bass. Forgot how much fun it is and having a 12" trout jump 3' in the air makes this old guy want to do a lot more of that stuff. Bring on those jigs and help me find the crappie in our local lakes.

Nick

My buddy and I caught 32 Crappie, 1 hybrid (white bass & stripper. The SCDNR and GaDNR stock them in our lake) and one "Spot," Spotted Bass (Invasive species) yesterday. Richmce"s jigs arrived today. The Post Office is open 1 hour tomorrow & I have a confllict, so it will be the first of the week before I can get them out. Thanks to all who participated. 

BB

Guys, the jigs are FINALLY in the mail and on their way back to you. I had planned to get that done yesterday, but my younger sister was rushed to the hospital yesterday and spent last night in the CCU. It takes a little more than an hour to get there so I spent a large chunk of the day just seeing to that. My older sister was out of town and so I was the only family member available to check on her.

Thanks to all of you for participating. 

BB

Wishing you and the family the best BB. It's hell when you suddenly find yourself in the family group that starts having things going wrong. When younger we mostly watched parents and old relatives going through this. Now it's our turn. Good that you could get to see her and someone there to cheer her up anyway.

Looking forward to the jigs. Our lakes are open all winter for the most part and warming water is stirring up crappie and sand bass but this is the season when light breezes start at 20mph and continue on up to gale force on a daily basis. We all just watch for a light wind of 10-15 and jump on the lake when we get that maybe once a week or so.

I wish all the best to you and for a speedy recovery for your sister!

Kim

hope your sister recovers as fast as the flies got here.  they are here . compliments to the tyers on  jigs well done. thanks bb

Jigs showed up today. I'll get a picture of them later if no one else posts one but I don't know if I have any of my own around. My kid bought the jigheads at Wally World and I think there just enough in each tray to tie for swap. This is a great bunch and will cover my crappie and sand bass for the spring runs. 

Thanks BB and hope your sister has come through her episode okay and is recovering.

Pictures of all jigs except those I sent. Didn't want to embarrass myself with the quality of this set. Actually, I can't find the ones I did for myself but now don't have to.

DSCF6888.JPG

DSCF6885.JPG

Got a great set of jigs in the mail yesterday.  Thanks to all who participated, thanks @richmce for the gift, and BIG thanks to @breambuster for hosting - hope your Sis is doing better.  

The best I could do for photos: 

IMG-20220327-114229.jpg

IMG-20220327-114436.jpg

IMG-20220327-114625.jpg

IMG-20220327-114834.jpg

IMG-20220327-115011.jpg

IMG-20220327-115137.jpg

IMG-20220327-115224.jpg

IMG-20220327-115423.jpg

IMG-20220307-224822b.jpg

Got my present of some fine ties in the mail yesterday as well!  Nice job all and thanks BB for a great swap including a math lesson!!

Kim

Thanks, Niveker for posting the pics. My green jig has been working great for me lately. OK, Johnw1986, there is your picture. What kind of Chenille and where did you get it? 

My sister is out of the hospital and doing much better. Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes. 

Take care

BB